Search the forum,

Discuss UFH is it worthwhile ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi , thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.

I’m currently about to start renovating my kitchen / dining room, I am looking at the idea of putting 1 zone UFH in .The construction is a suspended timber floor on dwarf walls. I was looking at the metal spreader plate with the celotex underneath.
Q1 what do you guys think of UFH
Q2 is the spreader plate a good method
Q3 if looked into it a little and do you think a combination of UFH and a radiator in the room is a good idea.

TIA for any

1. It's quite a nice way of heating. Will dry spills quickly and prevent cold feet when cooking. Because you will not be heating under your cupboards, though, it may not be enough to heat the kitchen on its own. Heat outputs per sq m are limited. You need to give consideration to what surface you apply over the UFH to avoid insulating the heat from the room.
2. It gives you faster response time than pipes in screed. The heat starts to come through in around half an hour using spreader plates if leaving bare boards and will stop more quickly when there are other sources of heat eg oven thus reducing overheating. Plates work best if they are a tight fit onto the pipes.
3. No no, that's 'wrong'! However if you look into it carefully and can work out how you are control the UFH and radiator, then I would not rule this approach out. If you need a radiator to increase the heat output or dry tea towels, this approach may be 'wrong' but it isn't necessarily stupid.

Simple answer underfloor is great to live with having done loads on customers properties and new build finally did it at home couple of years ago.
Similar to you we had suspended timber floors ripped them out oversite concrete 150mm kingspan then 80mm screed . Used polypipe system in kitchen used 100mm pipe spacings get correct heat output
Would also add knocked gas bills down by around 20% with constant heat unlike up and down with rads.

Reply to UFH is it worthwhile ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Looking for some advice. Recently moved into a new house and we've been doing bit and pieces to it, we're now at the point where we're looking at the heating system. There is currently a multi-fuel burner which provides hot water and heat for the radiators, there is also an immersion...
Replies
Views
I can't see why this wouldn't work but thought best to ask encase anyone has tried it before or is using it and would care to comment. So the plan is to install wet UFH in a soon to be built kitchen extension. The ufh will be installed in the whole kitchen area which will be of block and beam...
Replies
Views
Maxim2
M
Done a fair bit of reading and spoke to numerous plumbers/heating engineers and I get so many different answers to my question. By nature I'm a pretty inquisitive bloke and like to know how things work and if its the best way to do things. So my first question is does a single zone UFH setup...
Replies
Views
D
Greetings PF members, Does ufh operate similar to normal central heating, as in demand, switched, satisfied etc? We’ve been having an issue recently, in one of our propertie, whereby the bedroom was staying hot even though all thermostats were off. Boiler is a Combi, property is a well...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, Any help or opinions appreciated on this topic. Summary - last year bought a 90’s build house that had a wet UFH heating system designed and fitted to downstairs by NU-Heat. It’s the last of the santoprene rubber contra flo systems. The floor is a suspended timber type where the pipes are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock