Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet woes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hoping you can help with a strange problem - I noticed floor tile grout lines near toilet bowl are getting damp - I dried with a hairdryer but the problem reoccurs within a few hours , even when toilet not flushed. I can’t see/feel any water leaking from waste pipe seal (behind WC) , from cistern, supply line or from fasteners that secure cistern to bowl.
I have attached a couple of photos , the toilet bowl is on the immediate right and the tiled wall is at the top of pics. I wondered if there may be a pipe leak behind tiled walls but I recall that the pipe run at that point has no joins so less likely to be leaking and also you will see in photo 1 the damp patch seems to creep from right to left (toilet outwards) rather than from top to bottom (from wall although that eventually gets damp too).
Any suggestions ? Planning to contact a plumber tomorrow and hoping this is a WC issue since that will be simpler than removing tiles .
Cheers

Attachments

• A9027BC2-2D8F-4F74-958D-85F1EA97C4E1.jpeg
    A9027BC2-2D8F-4F74-958D-85F1EA97C4E1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • FEE4DBD1-0985-4042-9E62-BECCB3A97902.jpeg
    FEE4DBD1-0985-4042-9E62-BECCB3A97902.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Dry tissue paper in hand, start high and work down anywhere you can reach should show the area the leak starts from.

Turn water to cistern off if you can, then come back after a few hours and see if water level in cistern has dropped.
Tools required - Pencil to mark water level in cistern. :cool:

Turn water to cistern off if you can, then come back after a few hours and see if water level in cistern has dropped.
Tools required - Pencil to mark water level in cistern. :cool:
I can’t actually turn water to cistern off though so assume fill valve will open to maintain water level ?

I can’t actually turn water to cistern off though so assume fill valve will open to maintain water level ?
Yes it will refill, are you sure you can`t see a Silver isolation valve on the pipe putting water into the cistern? If not can you tie up the float using a length of wood and string or wire?

Reply to Toilet woes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock