Discuss Toilet dripping from inside bowl and cistern constantly filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve319

Hi Guys,

I have a toilet that has been getting progressively worse. It is now dripping at a rate of about 1 drop every 2 seconds from under the rim inside the toilet. Then about every 5-6 mins the cistern fills itself again by the amount I guess it has lost through dripping for about a second or so.

Here is the inside of the cistern.

photo-1.jpg

I have tried lowering and raising the water level using the grey 'cross head screw' at the top left which raises and lowers the 'rectangular' white box on the left. Doing either of these and the water keeps dripping.

I'm not sure what to do now, but it must be wasting a lot of water. Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot

It will be the flush valve causing the problem. Muck on the seating or wear. Turn the water off, flush it and it should twist and pull out for you to have a look at.

As Mike says take it out and check the seat in the cistern is clear of any debris and no build up on it. Check the rubber washer is OK and you may also be able to take it off and turn it over - wont last for long but may resolve the issue until you can source a new flush valve.

As the guys say, it wil be the rubber sealing washer that has "failed"

This type of mechanisim simply lifts the central tube off the rubber seat allowing water to "flow down" to the cistern. Another version of a flapper valve.

The rubber seal, over time, either gets a build up of slime (remove clean put back, see what happens), it perishes, take it off see if it crumbles or leaves a black smear on your hands (get a new one replace), it deforms, take it off have a look feel it for distortion, replace if necessary or as resolute says flip it over, this may work.

The real solution is to simply replace the rubber seal/washer, then the real trick is to identify what flush you have, I recognise this one but dont know who makes it, a good local stockist could tell you, then get the replacement, should only cost a matter of a pound or so.

I wish manufacturers would make identifying their products in this situation much easier, and then provide replacement parts for the components that fail (like this) Armitage Shanks do, its part number SV01967, they tell you this on a leaflet, in their packaging when you have already purchased a new flush valve and taken it out of the packet!!!!!!

But if you know this then you wil look good by giving the customer a replacement part for a fraction of the cost it would take to fit a new flush valve, but then how many fitters would replace a washer at a charge of the call out verses earning an hours labour plus parts to fit a whole new flush valve at ÂŁ15-20 (plus profit)?

Hope this helps

Russ

But if you know this then you wil look good by giving the customer a replacement part for a fraction of the cost it would take to fit a new flush valve, but then how many fitters would replace a washer at a charge of the call out verses earning an hours labour plus parts to fit a whole new flush valve at ÂŁ15-20 (plus profit)?

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...cistern-constantly-filling.html#ixzz2ONr7Rodp

By the time you have identified the make & model, ordered it from online & then a second visit to change, it would probs be quicker & cheaper to replace with a modern Fluidmaster equivalent in the van!

I often order specific washers if I don't want to have to split the cistern etc, & cause more hassle than its worth!

The rubber seal on this type of flush valve very often gets tiny bubbles in it. If so, you need patience and a pin to pop them.

cheaper to repace with fluidmaster fm van rather than waste time sourcing specific washer despite what others may say, one visit done and quality part in wc

Nabis flush valves are interchangeable so it's just a case twisting it apart and replacing the top section and button, 2 min

You can try www.lunns.net which have pics of all the flush valves, and seals they can get hold of, then source from elsewhere as they are expensive. Looking at state of bolts in bottom, and the fact there is no screw in back of cistern (prob siliconed) I would replace top section of flush valve.

Looks to me you have the siamp optima 49 dual flush and a rubbish siamp fill vvalve just replace the the siphon by twisting of and replace with siamp optima 50
cable operated (water isolated) the fill valves don't last long but that's not the problem there about ÂŁ20 but repair takes about 2mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet dripping from inside bowl and cistern constantly filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet cistern. I flushed, but holding the float ball, so the cistern wouldn't be filled. With a very low...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Hi all, just a side note to start, I am not a plumber and have pretty much zero knowledge about plumbing. I have three toilets in my house, a...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I am just about to move into a new build property. I took the water meter readings and they read 000000,620 I had a look around the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock