Discuss Thinking of career change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bof

Hi, having just been made redundant after 21 years I find myself at the grand old age of 38 looking at possibly retraining to become a plumber. Is there anyone who could give me any sound advice positive or negative on me doing a course ran by the plumbing academy it appears legit and worth while doing(nvq2) but that said after doing a spot of researching the general consensus is these fast track plumbing courses are no substitute for time on site... That said I can't do that being a 38 year old aprentice so if I want to find an opening then this would appear to be my only option? For the record I have no clue about plumbing i will be a total novice. Well thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this and i thank in advance anyone who replies.

most folks wanting to move into plumbing normally have some idea of property renovation or diy if they are your age. consider whether you would want you coming onto your house and workng on your systems for money before you go any further and spend money on a course

Why plumbing if you have no clue? Not a dig, an honest question.

Use the search function on the site, used to be hundreds of posts like yours, probably thousands now.

Its allright paying your big money to the training providers, but are they going to get you through your portfolio for your nvq?

Hello Bof, not been reading the Mail by any chance ? With no experience of any kind of plumbing you are going to find it difficult, plenty of guys come on here looking for work have had years of experience and find it hard, you may be the type that takes to it , its a dirty job that requires heavy lifting and a knowledge of buildings and other trades, not just a case of joining some pipes together, You need to think hard & long B4 you part with your redundancy money ! How do you fancy being on a building site this time of year ? Do you know your local plumber ? ask if you can tag along for a few days. Could I ask what you have been doing for the past few yeas

You will never ever find employment as a plumber who retrained at 38.

Your only realistic chance of becoming a plumber is to go it alone as self employed.

This will cost thousands on top of your training. It will also take years until you are earning a living wage. At least 4years until you are any good and a further four while you build up a business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thinking of career change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back