Discuss Thermal Store Dripping Overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pete52

Hi,
We installed a combination, open vented thermal store last year. As the header tank sits on top of the main cylinder the water in the header is really quite hot. I have noticed very slight drips coming from the overflow (more on a cool day) which I think is down to condensation. It’s not overflowing. The overflow pipe is running slightly down to the outside.
This is starting to stain the white pebble dashed outside wall.
My question is, should the overflow have a very slight rise away from the header tank to the outside but keeping the outside opening lower than the top of the header. Or am I off the mark here?
Also can anyone recommend a good cleaner to remove the brown staining spots on the pebble dash.
Thanks

welcome to the forum Pete.
No the overflow should be going down.
How much pipe comes out the wall? must be very short to be hitting the wall??

the pipe should point downwards slightly and have a tee on the end outside normally. sounds like the water level in the tank need adjustment.

my tank is sitting on top of my thermal store in the loft and does get warm so its now set with about an inch of water in the bottom

my tank is sitting on top of my thermal store in the loft and does get warm so its now set with about an inch of water in the bottom

Thanks Steve, The header on mine is about a third full. Maybe i should adjust the ball valve to reduce the amount a little. I will try it next week.
Cheers

Red hydrochloride for cleaning
But watch its very very strong kind of bleach

Is anything other than header overflow connected to the overflow?

Is anything other than header overflow connected to the overflow?

Hi Zebedy, No the overflow is only connected to the thermal store header.
It seems to be condensation, there is quite a bit condensation inside the header when i remove the tight fitting lid.

Shouldn't headder be a minimum distance above store ? Check mfrs instructions. Also u could insert 50mm sheet of celotex to reduce transfer. When store is hot- almost full temp does any water come out of expansion?

is the tank lagged? may help.

Yes it has approx 50 mm of insulating foam applied around the outside.
It has an alloy lid which is not insulated, should this be lagged and would this help?
I should have mentioned, its located in the loft.

For clarity, its the one on the right.

Thermal Store.jpg

more or less the same set up as mine as i said just adjust the ballvalve down low theres a lot of water being heated in a thermal store if the level is to close to the overflow it will creep over and pull in new water when it cools if its been doing it for a long time i would top up the inhibitor as well

Sorry! When u said combined heatstore with tank ontop assumed it was something like gleshill boiler mate with cistern ontop as some one suggested lagging cistern assumed I had correct picture. Cylinder with combined headder isn't what spraining in to my cretinous head.

In light of picture Steve sounds right. Isn't there a water fill marker on inside of headder?

Brick acid would also work pretty well. But test on discreet bit first as some times can stain or cause salts to form. Brick acid is Hydrochloric acid. This will dissolve any calcium based deposits, this includes cement, ok on aluminium but makes a mess of steel or iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermal Store Dripping Overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

According to the manufacturer's information OV PULSAcoil thermal stores are primarily designed for use with on/off peak electricity but also have...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry to bother you all with this but I am really struggling to find a suitable combi-boiler replacement and a knowledgeable heating engineer...
Replies
Views
Plumbing/water heater- spots recently on ceiling downstairs, 2 story house. Condensation??? New water heater. Live in same house now for 20 years...
Replies
Views
Sorry for a long post but we have a complicated thermal store situation Over the summer we had a new solid fuel stovax back boiler installed and...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock