Search the forum,

Discuss That's me done now blah blah in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Small works change flues , taps , boilers ,rads .
I know the manager said its pretty easy stuff mostly voids.
Hours are decent for the money plus it works out i can do my own small works.

I hope not tbh all depends what it is like , although beating your own drum can be good at the same time it can be so troublesome.
Main reason I'm going employed is for health reduce the stress and as I'm getting older things do go wrong in your body.

So if something does happen I still get paid

I hope not tbh all depends what it is like , although beating your own drum can be good at the same time it can be so troublesome.
Main reason I'm going employed is for health reduce the stress and as I'm getting older things do go wrong in your body.

So if something does happen I still get paid

Very few places unless you get on with a council pay sick pay. Apart from statutory sick pay which is less than ÂŁ100.

When I went back it was good for a bit finished by 5 every night not doing prices etc when I got home my stress levels went, then when it went quiet for a couple of days instead of doing what I want you end up sat in an office doing nothing.

Or other times if you want to finish early for 1 reason or another (surf was absolutely pumping) and ask to finish at 3 because you have finished all your work and happy to go home unpaid they say we need you to go and do these 2 jobs got there and the customer didnt know I was going to them and it wasnt a desperate job, whilst on the phone to the office one of the other lazy duckwit others was back in the office from 5 minutes after I left until 4 having a cuppa and doing sweet fa then going home whilst getting paid and I'm stuck working to 5 and by the time I get out surfing all the hordes have finished work and were trying to get down to catch the last hour of daylight and surf.

Or on a Friday afternoon after you've worked your ballcocks off to get a job finished get back to the office to tidy your van out on a Friday afternoon to be asked to go and help someone who was struggling to get finished turn up they have spent the last 5 days moving a boiler 3 mtrs and it was still nowhere near finished most people would of had the job sorted in 3 days easy. Then there is a gas leak I said how was the 1st test oh I didnt do one 5.30 comes Duck this I'm off.

Once you have been self employed it's difficult to go back the worst i find is the holidays you have to give 3 weeks notice. If the forecast is good and i have a free day during the week and the family are around I'll take the day off and not worry, it makes up for the late nights sometimes.

Once you have been self employed it's difficult to go back the worst i find is the holidays you have to give 3 weeks notice. If the forecast is good and i have a free day during the week and the family are around I'll take the day off and not worry, it makes up for the late nights sometimes.

Although I get most of what you are saying, how do you have a "free day"? I never worked outside an 8 mile radius, and rarely had any "free days", unless I had booked myself out or a punter let me down, which was rare. TBF, I did a lot of small jobs and did not overload the day, but someone would always phone in with an urgency so if things went smoothly, I could do those. If the sun was out, I would do the promised jobs and probably finish earlyish.

I now work for a LA, and they would probably be awkward if I wanted to finish early to go surfin', as inevitably an urgent call would crop up. they would also be a bit puzzled, as the nearest sea is 70 miles away, and cornwall a working days drive :).

But Good Luck to H&S - he may be doing the right thing. I find life is a lot less stressful, and still do the odd private, but even those are limited to small but decent paying, and only on Tuesday teatime or Friday at 1.30 :). I am on my drive between 5pm and 5.05pm, and leave home at about 8.15. Lunch break every day, and finish at 1.30 on Fridays.

But there are drawbacks - the main thing being some of the morons in charge, and I struggled for the first month to get my head into the right gear, and to slow down into the new job. If I had to go back SE, I may struggle to rev back up, but not too long till I finsih anyway.

They fluffed up the job tbf.
They made it sound like majority of my work was gas and heating, started and its just been grotty toilets and kitchen wastes blocked.
Im not really interested doing that in my own work never mind getting pita and doing it

They fluffed up the job tbf.
They made it sound like majority of my work was gas and heating, started and its just been grotty toilets and kitchen wastes blocked.
Im not really interested doing that in my own work never mind getting pita and doing it
Have suffered the same dirty trick a few times myself.

3 days which isnt much but the operative im replacing has been showing me what the job is . Not impressed to be honest and if i give it more time and still dont like it then im stuck for work

3 days which isnt much but the operative im replacing has been showing me what the job is . Not impressed to be honest and if i give it more time and still dont like it then im stuck for work

You can get an idea within a couple of days what the place will be like to work at. You get to see what your colleagues are like and see what your work is going to be like.

@Millsy 82 whats the Lotto numbers for this week end ?

What i did notice is how it has changed to how they jazz it up. We give you a new phone , a tablet and a new van but you cant use it out of hours.
Then next day fleet management comes in tells you about the traker and what it does but we dont monitor you but it does go on a system for your driving to be logged.
Then the tablet and phone has a safe guarding app for you to log in every two hours.
But we dont monitor you , yea right treated like a child in fairness.

I can remember the days before trackers and when you could use your van. Used to be awesome do your days work then go home.

Trackers weren't too bad on their own as long as you didnt take the mick but when they brought in pda's as well then the job just took a nose dive. It became too easy to send jobs to you without even speaking to you. At least before hand they had to phone you.

Too many people high up need to warrant the stupid money they earn so take it out on those that actually earn the money.

If I was to go back employed it would have to be for a 1 man band

All this tracking and monitoring workers just makes a worker stretch each job they can.
No point in completing a job in 5 minutes that would be estimated at an hours work and then rushing to the next job, without being appreciated and paid extra.

Reply to That's me done now blah blah in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock