Discuss Thank gawd for volt sticks... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dotty

20150211_141218.jpg

Jesus - a good reminder and wake up for us all.

I'll bet the hairs on the back of your neck stood up John.
Great to see you are on point.

Is it not just detecting a live wire behind the panel?

Hope you are OK, John. That was 4 hours ago. You need to tell us the latest, please.

Pretty sure he would of checked it with a multimeter for an accurate reading after finding this with the volt stick.

Jeeezzz scary stuff that. Hope you got over the shock mr cropsta .lol .

That looked domestic. I thought Croppie only dealt with the big stuff :wink:

Good job I'm not one innit...

I was getting 240v N-E and 0v L-E. The 2 port valves were shot. I didn't get the slightest tingle when I took the case off.

Guess that goes to prove us commercials are a hardier breed!

Good job I'm not one innit...

I was getting 240v N-E and 0v L-E. The 2 port valves were shot. I didn't get the slightest tingle when I took the case off.

Guess that goes to prove us commercials are a hardier breed!

Thank the lord for rubber socks.....

i took the front fascia screws out of a 105 HE,showing a ntc fault a few weeks back,i did not use a volt stick then,boiler was on a 3 pin plug,plug was removed i got a very nasty whack,turns out washing machine was faulty and chucking mains down the plumbing

since bought a volt stick,newlec brand

I never trust anything when it comes to electrics. Doing a bathroom with grant westfield panels, cust said the old shaver socket was dead and just needed removing. Yeah, right, thats why its still showing 230 with my testers.

Many years back I got covered in stinking Brown water when taking a macerator apart. I had the fuse in my pocket when the thing fired off! Turns out it was a DIY job. That night I got a sparky friend to show me how to use a multimeter cos I like all my fingers where they are.

Another one was a 415v commerical underground pumping station where the lead engineer put the key in the cabinet door and was thrown backwards like something out of the film Carrie.

Will be getting myself a new volt stick tomorrow. I have a cheapo one but will feel more confident with a decent one.

Will be getting myself a new volt stick tomorrow. I have a cheapo one but will feel more confident with a decent one.

Ive got about five of these on the van and always got one in my pocket.
They are brilliant :)

Ive found loads of things that where live that shouldn't have been, especially in lofts and airing cupboards :)

image.jpg

They did, now they've ditched the cheap red ones for the fancy expensive ones again :)

as you know, they love wasting money :)
The red ones were junk though and did not last. The Flukes much better quality and last longer.

Have had a few false readings using these in general. Showing live on boiler case etc but when testing electrics found no issues.

Once had a bathroom where the volt stick was giving weird indications including on the wooden doorframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thank gawd for volt sticks... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Love
It's DIY forums like this that have helped countless people fix, repair or replace things in their homes, which helped prevent additional damage...
Replies
Views
Hi All Haven't tried my stopcock for a while and it won't turn by hand, tried a cloth over it Any tips to get it moving please Many thanks Phil.
Replies
Views
Thanks all for your replies. I have settled for a lesser-of-two evils option. I cut the copper coming from the stack elbow back a bit further...
Replies
Views
I recently moved into a new flat and both toilets were dripping when not in use. I found that the issue was the flush valve seal and replaced it...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock