Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Tax query advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all.

I've recently gone self employed and I'm currently subbying to a firm who tax me at source. My question is, can I check on the Direct.Gov website if this is actually being paid on my behalf?

All the subbing i have done over the years i have received a pay slip as usual which shows how much tax etc etc From my experience tho it is down to you that they are actually paying your tax.

I assume you have passed your company a UTR number?

Yes I have gave them my UTR number. I've also just received my first payslip stating what I earned and what tax was paid.

So I've logged into my direct.gov account and can't find anything to do with tax paid or owed?

Also guys.

What's the score with national insurance contributions? The gaffer reckons it's about ÂŁ15 a week but looking online it's 9% of profits?

I only earn a standard wage I don't do price work for them?

Don't forget to keep all receipts, including food. Which you can claim for if your at work over so many hours.
You'll get a good chunk back at the end of the year.

I am going to chat with an accountant once I find one locally but it seems a lot to pay 20% tax then 9% NI as well?

I am going to chat with an accountant once I find one locally but it seems a lot to pay 20% tax then 9% NI as well?
9% on profit is correct. It's paid on any income over ÂŁ8000.0 don't forget your class 2 NI ÂŁ2.80 a week . Normally paid by direct debit.
Basically we all pay 1/3 of or income in deductions. Obviously, once you get into the 40% bracket it's different again.

So if my weekly wage is ÂŁ600 before deductions I actually take home ÂŁ434 after tax and national insurance? Am I correct?

So if my weekly wage is ÂŁ600 before deductions I actually take home ÂŁ434 after tax and national insurance? Am I correct?

If your subbing.
They will deduct 20% of your invoice. At the end of the year when you do your tax return ( get an accountant) you will then get a demand for NI. Normally tho, as you don't get tax and NI on all your wage. The deductions will more than pay for both.

Lest say you earn ÂŁ600 a week and have 5 weeks off unpaid.

ÂŁ600 x 47 weeks = 28,200.
First ÂŁ10,000 tax free, so you will pay 20% of ÂŁ18,200. Which is ÂŁ3640. Tax.
You also pay NI over ÂŁ8000.0. So 9% of profit is ÂŁ1800 .18.

Add both together =ÂŁ5440.18
Divide that by 47 weeks and you have ÂŁ115.75 a week in deductions. This gives a weekly wage of ÂŁ484.25.

This will be reduced if you have any expenses to go against tax. Like accountants fees, fuel etc.

If you get deducted 20% all year. You will have saved up ÂŁ5640. So it will cover both.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. That clears things up for me. I will be paying an accountant so that I can get the information I need. I hear chaps on site saying they claim for an office at home and loads of stuff. All I'm thinking is my tools and fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tax query advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Looking for some advice on my little bathroom project. I took the bath out. I got a shower jacuzzi thing. The base has 2 wheels in the...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock