Discuss Tap washers changed but leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Afternoon all,

Kitchen sink mixer tap. Took heads off, removed tap inards, changed washers. The brass inards now leak when the taps are opened. I have taken these apart there dont seem to be any washers or o rings but do come apart by turning (just a male thread into a female fitting where the seat lifts up or down as the tap is opened or closed).

Any ideas how to stop these leaking when tap is opened?

Thanx.

Hello again Leo21. Change tap or the inards. Nothing i can do to fix them, set them up properly or anything? There are too many different types on the market!

Take the tap innards to your friendliest local merchants, buy new if they've got them. Do they have what look like nuts on the spindle?

Yes they do. They may have a part number on that i can google for. Thought there might be an easy fix.

Tighten the top nuts, it will stop it from leaking but will make the tap stiffer. ( iff there the ones I think they are)

I took them apart (unscrewed them) and put them back together by holding bottom half (nut) with grips and screwing the tap haed ont the other end all the way up. I then re-fitted into tap body. Water back on, open tap and water leaks from the spindle.

No idea, apparently theres an uploaded somewhere.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350154804.049065.jpghere goes

Downloaded tapatalk app, just need to post pictures off the phones gallery now! Got camera icon but can't see any options to choose from gallery.

if it aint got the 'o' ring on the spline shaft then it is going to leak!
there is proberbly 2 of them 1/2'' from the spline head if not then there is the problem....

I'll need pictures with the heads off. Do they leak at the base where it screws in to the body or through the splines at the top?

I know these have been leaking for a while. I only changed washers due to customer having difficulty turning them off. Didn't notice any o rings on the spindle, just male to female thread.

It's the spindle that's leaking, not where they enter the tap body. They don 't pee out, just dribbling.

So it's not your house? And your charging for the job?

Thank you, will these kits fit most taps or do you need the tap make and part number?

The conversion heads will almost certainly fit that tap. Some of the old taps have the seating where the washer hits, too deep & the new works open apart when tap is turned off, but not with your tap I think.
You can buy just the spindles sometimes, but you need to take the old head with you as the splines are various sizes. The spindles can cost as much or more than conversion kits that have heads & spindles!

Thanks for the replies. Couple of things to think about. I will check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap washers changed but leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock