Discuss Tank fed water to handbasin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

billybongo

Hello all ,
My daughters house has a tank fed cold supply to the hand basin in bathroom ! stateing the obvious but she should avoid
cleaning her teeth in the bathroom i guess , seems strange because thats where you expect to clean teeth.
Is this quite a common practice !
Cheers
Mark

It was very common a few years ago, not so much now, but obviously still many many houses done that way.
It's a very simple job for a plumber to reconfigure the plumbing in the loft so that the bathroom is fed from the mains, one potential problem is increased pressure could cause a leak on the old pipe as it's under gravity at the moment, but a decent plumber knows how to ensure it's valved in such a way that the pressure is reduced and can't be tampered with

Thanks kirkgas , its a local authority house so cant really tamper , interesting though .
Mark

A wee bit germs from a basin tap won't kill her. It might even be good for her immune system:smile:

There are probably still around a quarter of all houses in the uk tank fed to the bathrooms.

If it worries you it is easy to swap over.

Btw tell her to keep her mouth firmly shut in the shower. That hot water is fed from the same tank :smile:

and they wonder why kids have no immunity these days my mum always said youll eat a peck of dirt before you die
provided the tank has a lid and isnt full of dead pigeons she'll be fine

"You are gonna think I'm going mad son, but it looks like a feather has come out of my tap"
"Haha, aye you are right it looks like a feather but it obviously isn't, right let me run your water for a wee half hour"

"You are gonna think I'm going mad son, but it looks like a feather has come out of my tap"
"Haha, aye you are right it looks like a feather but it obviously isn't, right let me run your water for a wee half hour"

Yes, they won't thank you for telling them that a dead pigeon has been decaying in their cold tank for months. I would prefer not to know tbh. :smile: Keep people relaxed & happy.
I used to always run a mains pipe to basin cold if at all possible, but that was normally when taps were separate single taps on basins.
The water coming out of mains supplies isn't always perfect I bet, especially when a burst pipe has been fixed on the road & muck, grit etc contaminates it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tank fed water to handbasin in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock