Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Stuttering power shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnicycleBloke

Hi,

I have recently fitted a new bathroom - a bit of a project for a DIYist like me.

The shower stutters quite a bit, and I'm not sure what is wrong. I suspect air in the hot side, but thought
I'd taken the correct precautions, running water from the supplies through the unpowered pump into a bucket.
To answer initial questions you might have:

- The pump is a Salamander CT50+, and is placed at the base of the hot tank.
- I added a separate 22mm cold supply from the tank to within a foot or so of the pump.
- The hot tank is a regular open-vented one supplied from the cold tank. The supply for taps is taken
horizontally from the top, with a vertical T going up to the vent and down to the taps.
- I added a 22mm Techflange (essentially an Essex flange) to the tank to supply the hot side of the pump.
- The pipes from the pump go up to the loft, across, and down to the valve.
- The valve is a Roper Rhodes single outlet thermostatic job.
- There are short sections of 15mm speed fit to connect the pump to the copper inputs and outputs.

I've seen one or two references to a U-bend in the hot supply. Mine comes out of the tank horizontally and
just bends down to enter the pump vertically. Is that wrong?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Al

Never done it like that but should be ok. Just a thought, Did you flush your pipework out before connecting pump?
Could be filters

There's a strong possibility you should've put a negative head shower pump in there, is the ct50+ a positive head only? Do you have a automatic air vents at the highest point of the feeds to the shower?

Thanks for your comments. It turns out that the shower head had a plastic flow restricter in it which reduced the flow to far below what the pump needs. Maybe with a higher pressure system this would be fine, but the head on mine isn't much. Making the aperture larger seems to have done the trick. Whew! I had visions of having to break into the tiling to remove the valve and clean its integral filters.

Next up, making the hot water and heating independent.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stuttering power shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock