Discuss Stubborn nuts! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyparty92

Hi all just a quick question. What's your way of dealing with stubborn nuts on pumps etc?

Little bit of heat and if that does'nt work I cut the ring off with the angle grinder.

2 hammers (or heavy objects) not lump hammers, small ones will do.

Hold one on one side, hit the top side with a hammer on the edge of the nut in the direction the nut needs to go to undo.

If it doesn't go first time or has been leaking and is rusty, same as above but move around diifferent edges on the nut.

im a two hammers man as well seems to work for me if theres no room then its out with the blow lamp to tight and not lamp friendly cut the nuts

heat, long wrenches for extra leverage or if all else fails and you can get a direct replacement just change the head:yesnod:

2 hammers (or heavy objects) not lump hammers, small ones will do.

Hold one on one side, hit the top side with a hammer on the edge of the nut in the direction the nut needs to go to undo.

If it doesn't go first time or has been leaking and is rusty, same as above but move around diifferent edges on the nut.
Just do same only with just one hammer knocking round the corners of the nut. Ever since doing it this way I had not to cut off a single nut anymore.

For pump nuts were they are fairly easy got at, a claw hammer tapping all flat faces of nuts & lots patience. As long as the pump valves are def closing off fully, then cutting into the nut with a junior hacksaw & splitting it off with a flat screwdriver is quick.
Ordinary nuts just need heat if there is no water. However, I sometimes use a hacksaw with a new blade on them, on opposite sides of nut & it pulls in two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stubborn nuts! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock