Search the forum,

Discuss Speedfit fittings - push fit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas,

Are JG Speedfit fittings suitable for use on chrome pipe?

many thanks,

dave

Dave

You would need to file off the chrome first as the fitting wont grip as it should.Have done this a few times myself, with no problems

Graham

Hello,

Yes as Graham says you need to remove the chrome plating as this material is too hard for the grippers to cling on to. Use your abrasive of choice to rub down to the copper underneath. Make sure you take enough (length) off, to be safe you should be able to see a little of the de-chromed pipe poking out of the end of the SF fitting once it is fully inserted. Looks a bit rubbish, but then so does SF in general so you've not lost anything!

Failure to remove the chrome plating will lead to the coupling popping off at some point in the future.

use tectite pushfits and the scoring tool they provide to cut into the chrome and u can push straight onto chrome and the gripper contacts the score line you have made and they wont slip off, remember tho tectites arent removable so measure twice before cutting and fitting. Not tried it but their rep told me about this and gave us the scoring tool to try.

thanks guys - i attempted filing down the chrome but despite much effort it just looks a bit scored. So will probably just replace the speedfit with a normal compression fitting - by the way as the pipe supplying the shower is a white plastic 15 mm , can I use a typical compression fitting on this?

thanks again

dave

yes, just as long as you use the correct insert for the pipe it will be alright.

steve

Thanks Steve - is that just the standard plastic Speedfit insert or do I need a metal one - like the Hep 2O inserts?

cheers

dave

if you've got speedfit use speedfit if hep20 use hep20. the internal dimensions of the two are slightly different.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Speedfit fittings - push fit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes sunk into wall behind bath. Walls have fresh tiles. Have realised as about to fit shower these pipes one is set higher than the other. If you fit a...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am looking to take my bath out and fit a shower. Regards to tanking. Is it ok to just seal everything with plastic rather than just paint tanking slurry? Thanks in anticipation, best regards Staggers
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock