Discuss Soldering on to stainless steal. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fitted a replacement Heatrae Sadia Express 7 water heater some time ago. The old one had an extended spout but it was not compatible with the new one so a new extended spout was ordered. I fitted this spout, there is a pushfit fitting underneath for the spout, it felt a bit loose but seemed to work okay. I was called back recently as they say the spout has fallen off a couple of times, I checked it and it just pulls out of the pushfit fitting with very little pressure. I called Heatrae and they said send it back, not an option as in the gents toilets of an office, so they said either wrap PTFE around it or solder a small length of 15mm copper pipe on to it as this should fit better in the fitting. I am going to try the PTFE route first but if I have to try soldering an extension piece will it solder okay on to stainless steel?

Think we used to use a Phosphoric acid flux when soft soldering stainless

I've soldered stainless in a meat processing plant and it was very low melt solder with a lead based flux IIRC, could almost use a lighter
Last week had to alter an old one pipe system and there was what looked like stainless pipe with soldered copper fittings on them, I used comp straight to join new to old, didn't fancy taking a chance

I've soldered stainless in a meat processing plant and it was very low melt solder with a lead based flux IIRC, could almost use a lighter
Last week had to alter an old one pipe system and there was what looked like stainless pipe with soldered copper fittings on them, I used comp straight to join new to old, didn't fancy taking a chance

That old stainless pipe was used when there was a shortage of copper or something back in the 70's or so I am told, its horrible stuff. I have soldered on to it in the past though without any issues.

That old stainless pipe was used when there was a shortage of copper or something back in the 70's or so I am told, its horrible stuff. I have soldered on to it in the past though without any issues.

Standard flux and solder?

If they say 15 mm will fit better in the fitting can you not bend/set a new piece of either stainless or chromed copper in place of the original if it is a push fit fitting with a grabring inside you may have to clean off the chrome for it to grip......regards Turnpin:D

I think it's not grabbing because it's stainless steel is too hard and the grab ring is just slipping. It is the same size as 15mm copper and 15mm copper does grab. I think the idea of bending chromed copper is good and I wish I had thought of that first as Heatrae charge nearly as much for the extended spout as for what the heater cost. I may have a bit of chromed copper in my garage so may give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering on to stainless steal. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock