Discuss solder snots on pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bar looking unsightly are solder snots ruining down the pipe from the above fitting a problem. Guy I work with does this. Looks bad but is on a first fix so underfloor pipework that will never be seen.

I wouldn't worry about underfloor pipework, as long as it's leak free it's all good. With visible pipework I always clean the pipe with my flux brush to brush off any excess solder while it's still hot enough and then when it's cooler clean off the excess flux with a rag

Then when it's all done a quick buff with wire wool and it looks mint.

If you've got a snots on the pipe its not a problem if its not seen, although a wet rag and while the pipe straight away should remove them or re heat the snot and whipw it off with a wet rag

Far worse than snots are solder icicles. No idea how they form but are lethal to fingers of an unprepared plumber.

If it is a Yorkshire fitting and solder runs down the pipe on a vertical fitting, then it is wrong because the solder has basically run out of the fitting.
I can't see why plumbers leave solder running down pipes, but if a hidden joint has been carefully end fed solder and a slight drip of solder is missed in wiping the joint I wouldn't worry about it if the joint inside is fully soldered.
If a plumber can't wipe any excess solder to tidy and complete a soldered joint, I don't think they are worth employing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solder snots on pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
Hi all We noticed water suddenly backing up through the pipe for the dishwasher drainage pipe yesterday - first time this has happened. When I...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock