Search the forum,

Discuss solder snots on pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bar looking unsightly are solder snots ruining down the pipe from the above fitting a problem. Guy I work with does this. Looks bad but is on a first fix so underfloor pipework that will never be seen.

simple get a file 5 seconds and done

Thanks its the fittings were the joint is horizontal he is feeding the solder in to ends up all down the pipe with no attempt to brush off.etc

Probably loading the fittings a bit if they're not going to be accessible

Bar looking unsightly are solder snots ruining down the pipe from the above fitting a problem. Guy I work with does this. Looks bad but is on a first fix so underfloor pipework that will never be seen.

I wouldn't worry about underfloor pipework, as long as it's leak free it's all good. With visible pipework I always clean the pipe with my flux brush to brush off any excess solder while it's still hot enough and then when it's cooler clean off the excess flux with a rag

Then when it's all done a quick buff with wire wool and it looks mint.

If you've got a snots on the pipe its not a problem if its not seen, although a wet rag and while the pipe straight away should remove them or re heat the snot and whipw it off with a wet rag

Far worse than snots are solder icicles. No idea how they form but are lethal to fingers of an unprepared plumber.

If it is a Yorkshire fitting and solder runs down the pipe on a vertical fitting, then it is wrong because the solder has basically run out of the fitting.
I can't see why plumbers leave solder running down pipes, but if a hidden joint has been carefully end fed solder and a slight drip of solder is missed in wiping the joint I wouldn't worry about it if the joint inside is fully soldered.
If a plumber can't wipe any excess solder to tidy and complete a soldered joint, I don't think they are worth employing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solder snots on pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock