Discuss Smell from Kitchen Soil Stack! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Looking for some advice, I am getting a drain/sewage smell coming from my kitchen soil stack. It’s always been there since I moved in only a few months ago, I had a new kitchen put in and one thing I remember is the drain pipe got bashed about a bit when the kitchen was getting done.

The smell is definitely not coming from the sink trap, I am planning on opening up the boxing around the pipe this weekend to see if I can see if the connections are good.

If the connections are good I was planning on using some expanding foam and attempting to seal around the bottom of the pipe in case the smell is rising from the dwellings below, then siliconing the boxing up to try and prevent the smell. Is this a good idea?

I am on a top floor flat and there are two flats below me, I can’t see any blockages on the soil stack vent on the roof.

Any advice would be great?

Picture of boxing.

IMG_3325.JPG

Post a better picture of the way your washing machine waste is piped where does the grey flexible pipe go? Kop

Hi,
My washing machine waste go's into a connection on the sink waste and is secured tight with a clip. My washing machine is to the left of the above picture and my sink trap to the right.

Hi,

Looking for some advice, I am getting a drain/sewage smell coming from my kitchen soil stack. It’s always been there since I moved in only a few months ago, I had a new kitchen put in and one thing I remember is the drain pipe got bashed about a bit when the kitchen was getting done.

The smell is definitely not coming from the sink trap, I am planning on opening up the boxing around the pipe this weekend to see if I can see if the connections are good.

If the connections are good I was planning on using some expanding foam and attempting to seal around the bottom of the pipe in case the smell is rising from the dwellings below, then siliconing the boxing up to try and prevent the smell. Is this a good idea?

I am on a top floor flat and there are two flats below me, I can’t see any blockages on the soil stack vent on the roof.

Any advice would be great?
Guess removing the boxing is the start point but wouldn`t go using expanding foam as that is just masking the fault.

I get smells from time to time from our own home kitchen sink, food residue collects in a kink on the flexipipe between overflow and the waste. I have to remove it once in a while to flush out the rotten food particles.

Thanks for the reply’s I will see what’s going on inside the boxing this weekend.

I don’t think it is the WM waste pipe as the smell existed before WM was put in.

I don’t see any other option if connections are good other than to seal the around the pipe, don’t think neighbours would rip up kitchens for smell that’s only effecting me.

But you could seal all round it and still have a smell. Then you have a foamed up soil pipe and still no answer find the cause

I wouldn't try to seal the boxing up as you'd be masking a problem in your own flat, but I would definitely make your house airtight from other dwellings, and if that means (fire resistant grade) expanding foam around where the pipe passes through the floor, so be it.

In any case, there's surely no need for a large cavity for mice to run up, and to allow fire and fumes to pass from house to house?

At least if that doesn't cure the symptom, you'll know the fault is within your flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smell from Kitchen Soil Stack! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, few years off doing the work but I like to plan. Can a soil stack be rerouting away from the house, over an extension roof? Reason to...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock