Discuss Smell from Kitchen Soil Stack! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, So I got into the boxing today and all is dry no leaks or anything.
Connections seem ok. It is drafty in there though?

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

It looks to me like its from the washing machine as your connection is not looped high enough and is above the water trap letting the smelly water in your grey w/m pipe release to atmosphere. Also it could be the pic angle but pipe after trap looks like it goes up hill for a bit

Ok so been looking into this further, took off WM waste and DW waste and there was no smell.

When I opened up the boxing to the stack there was no smell.

But when I took a shower that go’s into a separate soil stack the smell returned from the kitchen stack?

assume you checked round the back for missing blanksb
Could be a hole in another floor that's blowing up through the gap. On a neighbour's floor you can let them know. But if you block the holes in the floor it would help

I looked at the blanks that I can see and they are sealed.
I am going to seal the base of the pipe with fire rated expanding foam to see if this reduces the smell.

I have now narrowed this now with testing.

Smell only occurs after running hot water down kitchen stack (I think the shower may have been a red herring).

Smell can occur randomly that’s make me think it’s when one of the dwellings below runs hot water.

Hot water will cause the goo in the pipework to release smells which should be contained within the pipework. You either have a design fault with the way the pipework has been made with the result that a trap is letting air through it, or the pipework is not airtight for some reason.

Worth letting the neighbour downstairs know there is a problem? Probably you'll now find the smell will now go into neighbour's house instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smell from Kitchen Soil Stack! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back