Currently reading:
silicone didn't set?

Discuss silicone didn't set? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Waterproof silicone. Put between WC cistern (which had no screw holes before you ask) and newly plastered (but 99% dry) wall. came back 4 days later and it was still gooey, like it had been put on 20 mins ago. WC cistern wobbling about. Used exact same tube on basin waste the other day and set a treat. What gives?

it does this when wet, obviusly there was still an ammount of moisture in the wall that contaminated the silicone.

scre.... oh yes.

try plumbers gold next time, sets under water.

Water actually speeds up the curing time on most (decent) silicones.
As John said use Dow.

Last edited by a moderator:
disagree tamz, sort of.
i use a good one but i should immagine it depends on the 'ingredients' of the product.
my general stuff i use for toilet cistern syphons wont set unless left dry for an hour or so otherwise a week later it will still be gooey.

but like you say, if you know dow works then use it, expensive though imo.

Try a product called 'The Worx'. You can buy it in clear and it will (if it ever needed to) stick two damp bricks together. So it should have no problem with your cistern.

I know Dow is expensive but i must have tried just about every make out there and never found any as good. Depends what you are using it for i suppose.

Stixall is a good allrounder as is that plumbers gold as said.

Have bought Dow. Will try again tomorrow. Between a wobbly side-entry pan-fixing kit and a dodgy silicone I've just about had enough with trying to get this bog to sit still.

Bought Dow for first time and used on two jobs since yesterday. One sealing between waste and sink on a new sink install and other sealing between pan and wall. Worked a treat. Easily workable when wet, solid as a rock in a few hours.. it may be £3 more than the one I usually buy but that's nothing for knowing it's going to work. I'm converted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to silicone didn't set? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock