Search the forum,

Discuss Secondary Hot Water System Design in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HovePlumb

Hi guys,

Been a long time reader on this site so I thought I'd get some opinions on this system as I know there's a lot of knowledge and experience floating about on here.

I've been in the trade for 12 years now, gas safe for 6 years, unvented and all the NVQ's etc etc and employ a couple of lads.

I've installed multiple secondary returns using the loop design which has worked great on all occasions. However I was having a think for my next one and I've drawn up a rough sketch to show you what I want to do but I'm not sure it will work.

It's basically similar to how a central heating system flow and return would work. For the sake of the drawing the red is obviously the hot and the blue is the return.

My concerns are of short circuiting between the pump and the Ensuite 2 loop. Perhaps a gate valve to restrict the flow on that particular section?

Would it work at all? Have I lost the plot? :(

IMG-page-001.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can help out in future

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    173.6 KB · Views: 14
Some sort of valve for balancing so both the legs get even flow, maybe even need a check valve? One of the commercial guys on here should be able to help

yes would need some sort of regulating valve/ flow restrictor and would need to be set up correctly

As said it won't be an issue but you will need to fit balancing valves. Nothing fancy, one of these on each leg will do.

2016-08-11-23-36-25-2052810174.jpg

As said it won't be an issue but you will need to fit balancing valves. Nothing fancy, one of these on each leg will do.

View attachment 27021

Also as you would not know how much flow is going through would you fit a flow meter after it ? Or just do it by instinct

And I do have a kind of sixth sense with these things. I scare me self sometimes how close I get them before I test....

Last edited by a moderator:
And I do have a kind of sixth sense with these things. I scare me self sometimes how close I get it.....

:D you sure you haven't got thermal vision

View attachment secondary return connection .pdf

Not sure how you do your valve ends croppie but after some fun times trying to clear air from systems with a valve on the leg up to fitting & the balancing lock shield on the return I always opt for this arraignment, along with a drain off point after the circulator but before the swing check non-return.

It allows you to clear air from any leg using the fittings themselves & pulling water out of the drain point with a hose quickly clear any air from the pump line, it makes commissioning a breeze.

Welcome to the posting side of the forum HovePlumb

What circulators have you used on these in the past? Have you ever tried the Auto-Adapt Comforts ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated!

I've ordered 3 anti tamper gate valves (I assume that's the one croppie pictured) to fit on the return of each leg.

In the past I've used a standard hot water circulator on a timer. But on this job I've gone with an auto adapt so it's a first for me. I just hope there's a function on it to run continuously so I can adjust the gate valves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Secondary Hot Water System Design in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Silly question (and might already been asked 100rds of time) - I am specifying a circulation pump for the hot water secondary (circulation) return to reduce the wait for hot water. HW is coming from unvented cylinder with a secondary return connection. The secondary return is almost straight...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock