Search the forum,

Discuss sealing up annular space in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOD

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Did a llgs this morning and found that the annular space above a baxi bermuda wasn't sealed at all, so I ar'd it.
Does a metal sealing plate need to be made up or can mineral wool just be pushed up and around the flue liner to seal it ?

The old way used to be to either use closure plates or a big heat resistant infill panel. Also check piping routes out to side of chimney breast to make sure they are sleeved/sealed.

Did a llgs this morning and found that the annular space above a baxi bermuda wasn't sealed at all, so I ar'd it.
Does a metal sealing plate need to be made up or can mineral wool just be pushed up and around the flue liner to seal it ?

Mineral wool I do believe is acceptable BLOD! Use to do it a lot a good while back... No doubt the powers that be might have clamped down to save their butts though and it now has to be hermatically sealled with the correct BS:10095BLAH! sealant and negative pressure tested .... !! :rofl:

ellis board is mainly used as a register plate,but very hard to fit after the bbu installation, rock wool can be used but not fiberglass unless it has a 0 fire rating ,did you chuck a smoke match in? did it come back into the room or go away? if it went away you need to mark that down as ncs could have potential for a secondary flue action(its rare but sometimes,dependent on weather conditions p.o.c.s can be reversed and take the secondary route)it would mainly be in the case of installs where the chimneys been taken down,IL(or twinwall) has been put in its place but not sealed in the roof space

thanks for the advice guys.So is the register plate absolutely necessary ? Is it just to stop the mineral wool from falling down.Cos like you say it's going to be really difficuLt to fit with the bbu & flue liner already in.

I'm sure the regs state that if it is just around the liner that isn't sealed and the rest of it (around pipes etc) is all ok. If it is a nightmare to get to it can be classed as ncs.

update -
landlord said I was wrong as he remembered being shown the sealing plate by the installer years ago. He said it's quite high up and difficult to see, you'll need to get your head right on the floor.

So I went back armed with a torch and a mirror on a stick.

Turned out he was right, so appliance back on and left (with just a little egg on my face).

cheers blod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sealing up annular space in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock