Discuss Scrap time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I've just finished refurbing three houses and have acquired three copper cylinders and a shed load of scrap copper. I'm lazy and don't take my stuff to the scrappies very often so am not up to speed with scrap prices can anyone help as a guide so I don't get ripped off.
3 xcylinders
bout 37 kg of copper pipe.
Any guidance appreciated

cheers

roughly £35 per cylinder

£3.50p per kg

Very rough figures, depends clean pipe/brasery etc

make sure you take off the lagging and emty any scale out of the cylinders, and taker off any brass fitting, then you will get top whack for them.

Although it does take a bit of time, I like to sort all mine out into clean, brazery and mixed brass to get the top prices.

So, to get top money should fittings be cut off copper pipe as well? Do taps and old part1 ballvalves all go in the same pile?Cheers

So, to get top money should fittings be cut off copper pipe as well? Do taps and old part1 ballvalves all go in the same pile?Cheers

Look at the prices at your scrappy, i used to cut all nuts of pipe ends tap connectors etc and separate clean copper from soldered joints til i found out the difference was 10p per kilo...how much do you value your time? At least ten mins per kilo to clean up for ten p.....pffft

Definitely worth a little time cleaning the copper from brass, scale and lagging. I usually give it a quick run through separating the copper and brass and go down to the scrappy with bags of clean copper and a bag of mixed. Get the best price without spending to much time cleaning it all up.

Don't forget to take proof of id and your debit card for payment. :cuss:

I use a cheap evolution chop saw for cleaning it. I can clean a cwt bag in no time (wear goggles tho)

I use a cheap evolution chop saw for cleaning it. I can clean a cwt bag in no time (wear goggles tho)

Good stuff that evolution for the price. I got a ripsaw for forty odd squids and its great as is the mitre saw:)

i love scrap, one of the perks of the job! cash in hand and it covers my van, diesel and insurance! BOOOOM

don't bother seperating it anymore, not got the time, dont even strip boilers down just get a price per boiler and scrappy takes my rubbish too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scrap time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
I am perilously close to losing my mind - so any help appreciated! About a month ago a vibrating sound started on our cold mains (copper pipes)...
Replies
Views
Back