Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy pipes on cold main in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am perilously close to losing my mind - so any help appreciated!

About a month ago a vibrating sound started on our cold mains (copper pipes).

This noise will often go on for 12-24 hours, always a loud rumbling sound that you can feel in the pipes.

I am in a maisonette, and believe the cold mains splits in my downstairs neighbours property - but Southern Water have yet to confirm. Downstairs say they can't hear it, but they are a touch mutton and with current situation I don't feel like pushing too hard to go in and listen.

I've had a plumber out multiple times, we've clipped pipes, checked toilet cistern, old water tank in loft, changed tap to washing machine.

Southern Water initially said not their problem (quelle surprise) but I've managed to get them out and they'd said it's not in the street, but are now considering changing my meter and return valve.

I guess my only doubt on this is that it happens nearly exactly every three days, starts at approximately 10am, and stops as if my by magic at the same time the following day.

Turning the water main off in my property stops the noise, but I can't have water off for 24 hours at a time.

Happy to spend to sort the problems but don't want to spend a fortune and still be left with this noise!

I noticed a couple of people seem to have had similar issues but sadly haven't updated their posts with their resolution.

Has anyone got any other suggestions as to what I can check?

Does it happen after anything, eg hot water draw off, using a specific appliance? Do you have 1/4 turn taps? Is it specific to one particular area?

Does it happen after anything, eg hot water draw off, using a specific appliance? Do you have 1/4 turn taps? Is it specific to one particular area?

Nope, no water used when starts. I believe I have 1/4 turns. I'm in a maisonette, so very small area, sound is loudest in kitchen/bathroom (which are next to each other) but can be heard in bedroom where boiler is.

Thanks
[automerge]1596622402[/automerge]
Update: today we have sailed past its normal stop time, straight in to day 2.:eek:

Last edited:
Are you able to isolate the kitchen taps? Then if still noisy, isolate the bathroom basin taps and wc cistern?
Oh! I see what you mean, we think so, so next time we get a loud series of rumbles we'll check that out!
[automerge]1596655411[/automerge]
Oh! I see what you mean, we think so, so next time we get a loud series of rumbles we'll check that out!
So, isolated all except kitchen cold, as that doesn't have an option to isolate as is next to meter and stop and the noise remains!

Thx

Last edited:
[automerge]1596655411[/automerge]

So, isolated all except kitchen cold, as that doesn't have an option to isolate as is next to meter and stop and the noise remains!

Thx

Does this include bath taps? So obviously it’s an issue separate from the isolated parts of the system.

I think you need to widen your search area.

The vibrations you hear/feel have to get their energy from somewhere, usually the flow of water. If you have monitored your water meter while the humming is active and it really is not moving over an hour or so then the root cause most likely lies outside your dwelling.

Best thing to do is to talk to your neighbour and ask if your plumber can perform similar checks in their part of the house. Start simple, is their water meter creeping round while the humming is happening? Is the humming audible in their flat? Does it stop when they close their stopcock? Does shutting their stopcock also stop it in your flat? Does shutting your stopcock stop it in their flat? The key question here is 'Is the source of the noise in your neighbour's flat or are they also a victim of pressure oscillations in the supply?'

Are there any other neighbours you can ask if they have noticed anything.

The duty cycle (on at 10AM, continuous for 24 hours, then off for a couple of days) may be a clue. Do the neighbours tend to do a load of washing around 10AM every few days? Is there a factory / industrial unit near by that might be running a batch process?

Reply to Noisy pipes on cold main in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock