Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing heated towel rail on combi system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have got a Worcester Bosch combi boiler heating system with a MagnaClean filter. The heated towel rail in the bathroom is white and rusting, so I plan to replace it with a chrome rail to reduce the likelihood of future rusting. Am I right in thinking that when I disconnect the existing towel rail that a lot of the water in the system will drain out even with the valve which controls the supply to the boiler turned off? One of the radiator valves is faulty, it won't turn off, so I need to fit a pair of new valves on the new radiator, hence the question about water draining out.

In my experience of towel rads of any finish, the rubber washers they supply are absolute rubbish, they always leak and rust. So
do not use them. PTFE wrapped correctly is the only sound way
inc. valve leaders the bleeds on the top and the blank.
centralheatking

What am I likey to be charged to have the existing towel rail (600mm by 1120mm curved) which is rusting replaced by a curved stainless steel towel rail plus a pair of new valves.
[automerge]1567973381[/automerge]

Yes, I have already got one of those, hence my request for an estimate for STAINLESS STEEL. Screwfix have a Reina Curved Ladder Towel Radiator 1200 x 500mm Stainless Steel (28769) for £316.92. But I need a 600mm width. My guess is that I am looking at spending £450 including labour and VAT, but then I am not a plumber, hence my question on here. I have asked 3 local plumbing firms for an estimate. Two said they will get back to me but haven't, one didn't respond. I would have thought that this is a straightforward job to estimate and carry out.

I have asked 3 local plumbing firms for an estimate. Two said they will get back to me but haven't, one didn't respond. I would have thought that this is a straightforward job to estimate and carry out.
It's the wrong time of year for many people to be interested in a job that a typical customer will want to pay £30 for but will disrupt a whole morning.

Can you combine it with another job, such as your annual service, to dilute the 'nusiance factor'?

The boiler service isn't due until next April, I haven't got any other plumbing jobs that need doing. Screwfix does a Curved Ladder Towel Radiator 1200 x 600mm Stainless Steel for £350 - that's the size I need. With new valves and rust inhibitor, plus labour and VAT, my estimate is £500. £30 is ridiculous!

The bathroom walls have got plywood sheets on wooden battens on brick walls, the top half is skimmed over with plaster, the bottom half below a dado rail has got Marbrex waterproof panels over the plywood. The copper pipes protrude through the Marbrex and connect to the valves at the bottom of the towel rail.

Last edited:

Reply to Replacing heated towel rail on combi system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock