Discuss Replacement Boiler parts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kankerot

I have been told by my plumber I need some parts for my Idea C80FF - diverter valve service kit and sanitary diaphragm kit. I assume as the kit can be used in a number of different boilers does it stand to reason that the boilers have the same manifold and if so does that mean I can do the following?

1) http://www.ezypart.co.uk/files/SK001-instructions.gif
is that the same as :
RK 508 Halstead Ace High Biasi Ideal 500601

2) http://www.ezypart.co.uk/files/SK003-instructions.gif
is that the same as :
[DLMURL]http://www.euroboilerparts.co.uk/rk510-ariston-biasi-heatline-halstead-bi1011503-500601-573121-358-p.asp1[/DLMURL])

Now on the diagrams above it says the kit can also be used for Halstead boilers and I was wondering can I not get the parts for the Halstead boilers and fit them to my C80FF if they are the same?

Or am I entering into a world of trouble?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would let your plumber get the spares.
Then if he gets the wrong bits, then that his look out.
On the other hand you get the wrong bits, plumber turns up to do the job, and cant do it. Result two unhappy parties.

IMO

Graham

i agree let your engineer get the parts. if he were to get the wrong ones his supplier will be more inclined to change them, however if you were to get them you may be left with incorrect parts and be out of pocket.

Well the plumber told me the parts he wanted - he came round to tell me. His supplier was saying he does not stock the parts listed above - he just stocks the complete manifold. The plumber said his supplier does not stock the valve service kit.

Is he Gas Safe Registered? Something's ringing an alarm bell here as I don't know of a plumber who chooses to ask his customers to source his parts.

:iagree: x 3. can't he change his supplier or shop around?

If my suplier doesn't stock something they can get it next day normally, alarm bells ringing as above.

Though there could be other reasons he can't get anything from his suplier.

He is Corgi registered. He has done all my plumbing for the last 10 years or more. He uses plumb centre as his supplier. Last year I needed a PCB he said they charge ÂŁ200. I sourced the same one for ÂŁ100. He does not make money on the parts just the fitting so has always been up front with me as to parts.

Come to think of it suprised he cant shop around for parts. But I live in Huddersfield so I suppose there are not many big parts suppliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is Corgi registered.

since April 2009 Corgi have not been the governing body for gas work,
your fitter needs to be Gas Safe registered

most customers still refer to Corgi, not caught up with the change,
but hope your plumber is up to date

Corgi was the body before it changed to GasSafe. Because he was registered with Corgi (now defunct) doesn't mean he's a currently registered gas engineer. If he's not registered with GasSafe then he's not allowed to work on gas boilers (but can work on the rest of your plumbing).

I'm not saying he's no good or anything. Just that the rules have changed (and registration is more hassle and expensive these days.)

Another alarm bell in your last post is that if you can buy an item for ÂŁ100 and he said he was charged ÂŁ200 ... if he's in the trade, wouldn't you think he'd find parts for a similar price to you?

Perhaps (and this could be viewed as being cheeky!) you're looking to see if you can get things done on the cheap in some way? There's no need to be ripped off by a plumber (plenty of good honest tradesmen around) but sometimes life's safety isn't worth the low price of saving a few bob.

Maybe you should ask another plumber in for an opinion?

I checked his details - he is Gas Safe registered. As to getting things done on the cheap - the only thing I have purchased myself is the PCB. All smaller or lesser parts he gets. Now i agree I dont know why plumb centre is so expensive. I have used him for the last 10 years - he is reliable and honest - I dont think he has ever ripped me off.

But I am thinking of just going with British Gas cover after I get this repair done.

I checked his details - he is Gas Safe registered. As to getting things done on the cheap - the only thing I have purchased myself is the PCB. All smaller or lesser parts he gets. Now i agree I dont know why plumb centre is so expensive. I have used him for the last 10 years - he is reliable and honest - I dont think he has ever ripped me off.

But I am thinking of just going with British Gas cover after I get this repair done.
imo plumbcenter not very good for boiler parts,
if he's good an honest keep him,
BG arnt imho

I know many people opt for insurance policies on boilers but I have put aside money each year knowing that I have a good reliable plumber. Overall it has cost me less but as the boiler is getting around 11 years old the likelihood of breakdowns is increasing.

I don't know if this is true but my plumber said that boiler manufacturers sell the boilers at low margins and make their profits back on parts.

He is Corgi registered. He has done all my plumbing for the last 10 years or more. He uses plumb centre as his supplier. Last year I needed a PCB he said they charge ÂŁ200. I sourced the same one for ÂŁ100. He does not make money on the parts just the fitting so has always been up front with me as to parts.

Come to think of it suprised he cant shop around for parts. But I live in Huddersfield so I suppose there are not many big parts suppliers.

I'm not surprised, no margin to cover shopping around be it on the internet or driving to the source in the van.

We all need an incentive to provide the top level service customers want, don't forget that shopping around is adding to our overheads, not a pleasure for most trades.

i can tell you now b.g will want you to have a power flush (ÂŁ500+) before they will take you on.

You will be lucky to get BG to take a boiler on over 10 years old ! they will be more intrested in selling you a new one .

parts cntre in huddersfield have them , lee or richard will sort you out 01484 447 844

I think you jumped the gun. His knees are gone and is retiring and I went through a huge hassle in finding him in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement Boiler parts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant...
Replies
Views
Been in property about 10 years and the valve on the (round/bunded) Balmoral tank has always been in pretty rusty state. Tank is 5,000 litres but...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just noticed a damp patch around where my boiler flue exits through to outside wall along with a rusty colour around the collar of the...
Replies
Views
G
Hello Since moving into my property in 2016, I must have been through 5 or 6 mid position valves of various makes. I am just about to swap over...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock