Discuss Replacement Boiler Choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevo

Hello all,
I am looking to replace my 12 year old SIME Friendly combi boiler. I have had 3 quotes from local installers. The quotes all seem reasonable. I have a 3 storey mid-terrace property with 5 bedrooms, 1 shower room (Thermo mixer) and a bathroom. Altogether 11 rooms with rads. Fully DGlazed.
I suggested after some research that a Worcester Bosch boiler would be a good choice. The quotes seem to favour the 29cdi model. The old boiler had a rating of 24kW. The main gripe with the SIME was the bath filling time and the noise (economy as well). Does the WB 29cdi seem a good choice or should I go for the WB 34cdi? Is oversizing a problem?

I would go for a Vaillant over WB if you're going for a high end boiler. Too much plastic in Worcesters and they're difficult to repair.

Generally speaking, the higher the kw rating, the better the flow rate of HW, provided your incoming main is sufficient to provide the figures quoted.

Thanks TB,
I was using the WHICH guide and they only really recommend WB & Vaillant. The supply pipe is 22mm. Also WB have a 5 year warranty offer if you install before 31st December 2012. I forgot to add the rads in hall and extension. Total 13. Is OVERSIZING an issue?

Vaillant have the same offer of a five year warranty on their entire range if installed before the end of the year.

How did you get on with the Sime 24kw boiler, in terms of hot water delivery. If you didn't have any problems then a 28 kw should do you fine.

There will be no issue with oversizing, the Vaillant boilers modulate down to what is required for your system. The radiators don't need much to heat them up, a 16kw boiler might be ok just for the radiators, its the hot water that you need the extra power for.

7 years on WB From accredited installers They have a good R and D and training
They where supposed to have a new boiler this year for there 50th year in business and this did not get launched so I would think they had problems which is good most company's would have put boiler on market I do mainly install WB but there lots of boiler makes out there

Thanks anz,
The Sime takes ages to fill a HOT bath as you have to restrict the water at the hot tap otherwise you just get lukewarm water. Which Vaillant would you recommend at around the 30kW rating?

Thanks anz,
The Sime takes ages to fill a HOT bath as you have to restrict the water at the hot tap otherwise you just get lukewarm water. Which Vaillant would you recommend at around the 30kW rating?

You could have the Vaillant ecoTEC plus 831 should be ok for you.

hi stevo check out intergas, better than wb and vaillant imo as they only have 4 moving parts, come with 5 year warranty too, if fitted by registered installer
Intergas - Smart Choice

Yes the Intergas is also a very good boiler, up there with the best. They aren't as big in this country yet, so many installers haven't heard of them, but they are known to be a good quality reliable boiler.

I have looked at inter gas and I would fit them they look a good boiler and have seen them at trade shows
But in my area say the name WB most customers know the name and a lot of the time have done there own research

Thanks everyone,
Good advice. I will discuss various boilers with installer. All I was concerned about was that oversizing would be inefficient. But it seems that each boiler mentioned is capable of modulating to the heating demand.

hi stevo check out intergas, better than wb and vaillant imo as they only have 4 moving parts, come with 5 year warranty too, if fitted by registered installer
Intergas - Smart Choice

nice to agree on some things and intergas are great, no worries about plate hex blocking on old system water and sludge, there isnt one, just nice 15mm pipework passing thro the main hex, so much better heat transfer and flow rates.

Stevo, ignore the which guide. We had a thread regarding it in the GSR forum, we all had a good chuckle at how off the mark it was.

The most important factor with any new boiler is the guy fitting it. If its slapped on the wall, turned on and he buggers off, it's gonna be less reliable than a quality install and clean etc. Choose your guy carefully. Where abouts in the country are you? Maybe one of our respected installers can give you a quote.

I'd like to give intergas a try at some point, but they're butt ugly so would have to be hidden from view lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have had a sime for 12 years, why not stick with them fit a larger output unit new ones come with 10 year warranty fitted a few over the last couple of years with no come backs,

Hi JTS,
I did have a few problems with the Sime over the years but it's still going (expansion vessel now kaput) and its not condensing type. All I was looking for was the best recommended combi available.

You will get lots of options on this , most fitters like to keep to one make, same as customers , all boilers have problems, dont think because you spend out a load of money it will be trouble free, I fitted a large vaillant a couple of weeks back, this week fitting 2 Ariston boilers, if you are looking for long warranty that costs no extra Look at sime, some of the other makes you will only get the extended warranty if it is fitted by some one who has done their installer course, have a look on boiler web sites and see what ones you like, but dont rule out sime because of expansion tank common fault with most boilers, but dont go for anything below 30Kw if you want a good water flow !

One more thought in case it helps. Remember that a combi is at its least impressive when filling a bath. This is partly due to flow rate (between 12 and 15 litres per minute depending on model) and there are probably 22mm pipes from a previous non-combi installation running to the bath which compounds the flow rate issues. So bottom line is that if the bath fill time is the biggest issue, then changing to an unvented high pressure system is the absolute best solution. IF this is not possible/affordable, then the highest rated combi is the only thing you can do. Something in the 35-42kw range will give the best flow rates BUT the gas main will undoubtedly have to be enlarged to supply sufficient gas for this. Just a thought ......

I'd like to give intergas a try at some point, but they're butt ugly so would have to be hidden from view lol[/QUOTE]

Just had a look, couldn't agree more!!

Yeah man! It has to be a consideration in certain circumstances, some of these boilers look, well, positively commercial!

Commercial boilers have an aesthetic beauty rarely appreciated by the ill-informed!

So there!

7 years on WB From accredited installers They have a good R and D and training
They where supposed to have a new boiler this year for there 50th year in business and this did not get launched so I would think they had problems which is good most company's would have put boiler on market I do mainly install WB but there lots of boiler makes out there

lol ground hog day again!

New boiler is coming Lee it's getter more future proofed, won't be called LXi now, video of new WB7 heat ex and internals google cdi-revolution and follow YouTube link...

Commercial boilers have an aesthetic beauty rarely appreciated by the ill-informed!

So there!

Haha, very good.

Reminds me of a new install we did in my younger days, a main multi point. When the woman came home and saw the flue on her stone wall she broke down to tears and said "it looks positively industrial! Get it off my wall!"

Haha, very good.

Reminds me of a new install we did in my younger days, a main multi point. When the woman came home and saw the flue on her stone wall she broke down to tears and said "it looks positively industrial! Get it off my wall!"

She'd be gutted now. Deconstructionalism is the new black!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement Boiler Choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back