Search the forum,

Discuss Rennovation of an Old Bathroom Suite in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

collecting.dust

Hello everyone

We are not Plumbers - just someone looking for advice regarding a bathroom rennovation we are currently just starting.

We live in an old victorian house. I am not sure exactly how old the bathrrom suite in here is - maybe deco period ?

I want to try and keep the suite - Its a ceramic bath toilet and pedestal wash basin. Bath is one of those low level sunken baths in ceramic material - it sits a fraction below the level of the floor boards. Its in good shape
Problem is its an awful pink - and we really want white.

I have been investigating having the whole suite resurfaced insitu - the idea sounds quite promising and talked to a local company about this.
Price for resurfacing the whole suite will be in the region of £600

The major issue is the toilet - Its cracked around the base and the chap I talked to about the resurfacing said it would be better if we had a new toilet.

If I buy just a new toilet base - Can the existing cistern be fitted to it ? The cistern matches the rest of the suite and it would be nice if we could keep it.

Its a low level close coupled toilet. Are there fittings that can make it fit a modern toilet ? If so Where would we obtain them.

The other issue is the bath taps - they are mounted into the wall into a tile and I assume the pipework to them runs underneath the bath - dont think we want to even go there !
They work fine but are really stiff to turn on - I have looked around and cannot find any similar taps anywhere (they must be ancient). Is it possible to get new fittings for these to make them easier to turn on and off.

Much appreciate your advice

I can post some pics of the suite taps etc if it helps

Debbie

I should have also said we are having a Plumber in to do the necessary work.
We are currently in the process of getting a quote

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone

We are not Plumbers - just someone looking for advice regarding a bathroom rennovation we are currently just starting.

We live in an old victorian house. I am not sure exactly how old the bathrrom suite in here is - maybe deco period ?

I want to try and keep the suite - Its a ceramic bath toilet and pedestal wash basin. Bath is one of those low level sunken baths in ceramic material - it sits a fraction below the level of the floor boards. Its in good shape
Problem is its an awful pink - and we really want white.

I have been investigating having the whole suite resurfaced insitu - the idea sounds quite promising and talked to a local company about this.
Price for resurfacing the whole suite will be in the region of £600

The major issue is the toilet - Its cracked around the base and the chap I talked to about the resurfacing said it would be better if we had a new toilet.

If I buy just a new toilet base - Can the existing cistern be fitted to it ? The cistern matches the rest of the suite and it would be nice if we could keep it.

Its a low level close coupled toilet. Are there fittings that can make it fit a modern toilet ? If so Where would we obtain them.

The other issue is the bath taps - they are mounted into the wall into a tile and I assume the pipework to them runs underneath the bath - dont think we want to even go there !
They work fine but are really stiff to turn on - I have looked around and cannot find any similar taps anywhere (they must be ancient). Is it possible to get new fittings for these to make them easier to turn on and off.

Much appreciate your advice

I can post some pics of the suite taps etc if it helps

Debbie

I should have also said we are having a Plumber in to do the necessary work.
We are currently in the process of getting a quote
southampton salvage southampton send them pic they may have same pan

Toilet suites are a bit tricky, made me feel old saying close coupled suites are old. I remember them coming out.

Usually you might be lucky and get a pan off the manufacturers if they have any left. Identify which and whose suite it is, then give them a ring.

The taps once again they sound like globe taps which you can still get in some places. Usually though you can overhaul any tap to get it back into working order providing its not to far gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rennovation of an Old Bathroom Suite in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock