Discuss Ravenheat Combi boiler fault no ignition in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dacker

Hi
I would be very grateful for any advice please.

My old ravenheat combi boiler will not ignite.
A little info, the pump has got a slight water leak so it has been losing pressure over the last few months
this automatically shuts the ignition/pilot light out ( i should of got the pump repaired!) i used to repressure up to
1.5 then push the button in, the fan would come on then a click then the ignition light would come on and
everything would work fine.

Recently it would not reignite, with the pressure at 1.5 , i push the button in, the fan comes on, but i cannot hear a click
and it does not ignite. I tried blowing any dust or debris away from the pilot area, but still no ignition, maybe i have worn it out
by continually reigniting it, but i am really not sure at all.
many thanks
dacker

Hi
If i could just ask another question please,
What are the sequence of events when reigniting an electronic pilot light. I know that initially
1, Press ignition button in
2, fan starts
what are the next steps please

Is gas released at the pilot burner just before ignition?
There is no gas at the pilot burner when i try to ignite the pilot.
Apparently my ravenheat boiler could have a faulty electronic ignition box, if it is faulty would the boiler have a fail safe device preventing gas from being released at the pilot burner when the button is pressed in and there is no ignition?

many thanks
Dacker

sounds like the air pressure switch or a blockage in the fan venturi. what model ravenheat is it

all the boilers work in slightly different ways depending on the manufacturer but generally
1 demand foir heating or water
2 pump kicks in
3 fan starts
4 air pressure switch (if it has one) proves the fan and flue are fine
5 pcb opens gas valve to allow small amount of gas to the pilot and also starts ignition sparking
6 when pilot lights, flame sensors recognise the flame and open the gas valve fully and voila!!

if i went to the boiler that wasnt sparking , the first thing i'd check is whether the APS is working correctly

Hi

Many thanks for your knowledgeable reply regarding the sequence of events at the pilot.

No 5, Would the pcb open the gas valve and allow a small amount of gas if the ignition was not working?
there is no gas being released at the pilot at all, by the way, the air pressure switch and fan have been tested and are working fine.

I was thinking of buying and fitting a new electronic ignition box tomorrow, part number 5021093, it is a little wet around that area
from a small leak above ( i know i should buy a new boiler!! )

many thanks again
Dacker

I have once solved similar problem on another kind of boiler using hair dryer on pcb and or ignition pcb as might be the case. Maybe I got to it quick before any real damage occurred but it worked for me

I would say call a gsr engineer in.

You have done as much as you can on an internet forum with engineers that cannot even see the job.
The next stage would be in depth fault diagnose.

As armourer stated it is time to bite the bullet and get in an Engineer.
It may be one of a number of faults(APS, thermocouple, igniter, pcb, overheat stat.) Each one has to be ruled out one by one by a qualified person.

PS. These boilers are getting a bit long in the tooth now and you should really consider replacing.

Hi

I have taken your advice and called a gas engineer, like you say i have gone
as far as i can.

many thanks to you all for your help
best wishes
Dacker

Most likely a poor connection to the main thermistor. Try wiggling it around when the boiler is on and you will here it click. Then sparking will commence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ravenheat Combi boiler fault no ignition in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and...
Replies
Views
Hello, Looking for someone who can please help solve this problem and fix our boiler. Staffs area. CH seems fine. Boiler can be coaxed into full...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a britony combi se 80 with fault 40 60 80 had british gas out to repair under homecare cover but they can't seem to repair it. They...
Replies
Views
Hello The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed. It's been a hugely reliable boiler...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
    • Optimistic
Hi, I've got a ferroli 901 boiler, I initially thought the pcb was at fault so bought a new one and I'm having the same problem ( has been...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock