Discuss Range Tribune Immersion Element Thread Adaptor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drip Doctor

Don't suppose anyone out there has come across this infuriating company who uses non-standard sized immersion elements in their unvented cylinders? The thread is (I think!) 1 3/4" BSP where a standard one is 2 1/4".

Given that I can get hold of replacement elements from PTS but they are £50 each (OUCH!) and given that other than the odd thread they are a standard 3kW element, has anyone come across a reducing bush which would be 2.25" BSP female to 1.75" BSP male in order to cheat and use cheaper elements? If not I'll get some made up and flog them and make my fortune from all the Range cylinder owners out there!!

I don't think anyone makes these but you never know!!

Many thanks in advance.

a reducing bush would only work for the smaller to go into a larger aperture not the other way round surely?

Use the correct immersion for the job. Not worth trying to save a few pennies. The heatrae ones are 75 plus the dreaded.

Don't suppose anyone out there has come across this infuriating company who uses non-standard sized immersion elements in their unvented cylinders? The thread is (I think!) 1 3/4" BSP where a standard one is 2 1/4".

Given that I can get hold of replacement elements from PTS but they are £50 each (OUCH!) and given that other than the odd thread they are a standard 3kW element, has anyone come across a reducing bush which would be 2.25" BSP female to 1.75" BSP male in order to cheat and use cheaper elements? If not I'll get some made up and flog them and make my fortune from all the Range cylinder owners out there!!

I don't think anyone makes these but you never know!!

Many thanks in advance.

Your not paying for it, so fit the correct one! Any hassle further on will only be your responsibility.... The bush would probs leak, not much thread to make a seal on these cylinders!

Many thanks for replies, and yes gassafe I have done my unvented qual, could I ask what relevance that would have to the question asked?! I am suggesting replacing one 3kW element with another with a different boss size, I'm not changing any of the mandatory pressure/temp relief valves etc.

If you think about it, the manufacturers of these things are a PITA as soon as anything goes wrong they wheedle out of warranties due to small print which states the cylinders have to be 'serviced' annually and then they charge about 5 times the amount a standard element costs as they used a non standard thread size - just a licence to print cash if you ask me!

Was only trying to get the most cost effective solution for a customer who has a lot of these in his franchises and the elements are barely lasting out their warranty period that's all. 'You're not paying for it' smacks of not giving a monkeys about customer service, sadly all too common these days I'm afraid. After 9 years in the army I like to be old school and play the long game - I look after customer, they keep using me - surely good business sense?

...or maybe I'm just tight!!!!

LOL, yes you are just tight.
The genuine Tribune immersion heaters are, or used to be, far superior to your average 3 KW immersion heater. The other thing to consider is the stat, are the PTS ones including a stat or just the immersion ?. The Tribune immersion heaters over the years have used a combination of different stats all varying in quality, the best stats they used were the 2 pronged thermtec type (just like a male and female spade) if the PTS ones have this stat fitted IMO they are cheap.
As Simon says the Heatre ones are £90.00 ish...now thats expensive.

1 3/4" are available, or even 2".

[DLMURL="http://www.heatrodshop.com/ceszb340-immersion-heater.html"]CESZB340 Titanium 3kw 16" Immersion Heater with Dual Function Thermostat[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for replies, and yes gassafe I have done my unvented qual, could I ask what relevance that would have to the question asked?!

'You're not paying for it' smacks of not giving a monkeys about customer service, sadly all too common these days I'm afraid.

well if your g3 qualified then I thought you would understand only to fit genuine replacement parts...

your comment about me not giving a monkeys...? I'm sure if I suggested a genuine quality ariston replacement to my customers for £100 pound or your army boot suggestion of a non genuine, Pts cheapie with a leaky boss adapter not recommended by the manufacturer for £60 quid I know what they would prefer... :)

These aristons have a little o ring seal too... Not sure how you would seal a regular immersion... Ptfe?

Also, as Ray & Steveb pointed out, how do you plan to get 2 1/4" thread into a 1 1/4" thread...?

Yep, if a gas registered comes on saying a boiler fan is too expensive, can I fit a different fan as it looks familiar he would get slaughtered... Same kinda thing I reckon.... Next he will be changing t&p & pressure reducing valve for whatever he can rummage from his scrap tin!

i would not want to be the plumber to come along after him... I would end up taking the wrap for not spotting his 'modifications' etc when it all hits the fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Range Tribune Immersion Element Thread Adaptor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to source adaptors/reducers for the below taps for my renocation We have the tap ware currently but Union adaptors are needed to fit...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
T
Hi, I want to fit an immersion heating element to my hot water tank (water is currently heated by gas). I'd like to buy it before I start draining...
Replies
Views
I need such a spanner to remove a failed IH, and to install a replacement; in a domestic hot water cylinder made by Opus (Cyprus). I am aware that...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Ok got sent to a job today. Horizontal cylinder in the loft, leaking from immersion and going through the ceiling in to the room below. Someone...
Replies
Views
Back