Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator hot in summer and cold in winter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gibstown

I constructed a new extension (one room on ground floor) last year with a large double radiator to heat this room. I also installed a new and bigger boiler. This radiator is not air locked and the lockshield is ok. It will not heat up during the winter cold months but is very hot in the summer.
All other radiators in house are ok.
Please advise.

First thought is the pipework is overloaded - too small for demand, or blocked, or just system needs serious balancing. All these will mean the rad may work reasonable in summer but not in cold weather due to the rad & rest of system loosing heat more.

Where did you connect the new rad to ?

My thought exactly! Often extension rads are stupidly joined to the nearest rad pipes which may already be a bit overloaded for their size.

Connected new rad to the pipework from a radiator in the adjacent room approx. 4 metres away.

Thanks
I think the pipe used was white plastic maybe 10 mm diameter. The rest of the house is 15mm diameter copper.

I had a boiler swap last year where some retard had teed the extension rads straight off the flow and return above the boiler. They kind of half worked when on for hw only and nothing when the ch was put on.
Get the system checked by someone who knows what they are doing. It is piped wrong or needs balanced

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply. No I am not a gas / heating engineer. When I built the extension I was advised that the existing boiler was too small for the house. It was 20 kw. The new boiler is 30 kw and uses approx 20 % less gas.

Have all the other radiators in the house got Thermostatic valves on?

Are all the other radiators hot now as well as the extension one, or is it just the extension radiator that's hot?

The size of the boiler makes no difference to whether it will work or not.

Thanks for reply.
Yes all radiators have thermostatic valves. Yes all radiators are hot now and during the warm weather, just the new rad in the extension will not heat up in the winter.

is it heat only boiler ? the rad you connect the one that do not work is it in your bathroom ?

i think you must have bathroom rad on the hot water side and there fore in summer heats up but will not in the winter as i think you have a y plan

Has to be piped wrong poorly! If the rad in question is heating as said so will the one you tee'd off unless it's turned off or has a TRV fitted! There's something missing in what your saying IMHO :)

if he picked up from by pass rad or rad on hot water side , then in summer will heat up on hot water but winter comes will not heat as heating is selected

Thanks
My boiler heats the rads and water. The new rad is connected to an existing rad in the living room not the bathroom.

I bet it is just overloaded. 10mm plastic is a lot smaller bore than 15mm copper & he said it is about 4metre away - that's at least 8metres of 10mm. Add to that the probability of lack of balancing, especially with any rads close to that one. Bet a thermometer would show that rad has low temp even in summer compared with rest.

Thanks
I think I will need to have a look under the flooring to see how it is piped.

Thanks
I think I will need to have a look under the flooring to see how it is piped.

If you have the luxury of easy excess to the pipes, then you are lucky you can opt to repipe if needed. If you have the system properly balanced you may find the rad is a lot better, but it is the winter that shows the properly piped/designed systems.

turn all other rads of and see if this will get hot .....but you say you have combi boiler ?

why will it heat in the summer if is a combi !

Dont think he told what boiler he has, but did say 10mm to new rad & rest in 15mm, sounds like under sized heating pipe work, when new boiler was fitted was gas supply OK for new boiler ? did you change any other controls, maybe pump is to small or worn out?

Thanks
The boiler is not a combi. It is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 Di system, for sealed central heating systems and indirect fed domestic hot water, (That what it says on the manual)

Thanks
Gas supply ok. we added a thermostat control on the wall in the hall, we never had one in the house. I assume the pump is inside the boiler and the boiler in a year old, so i hope is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator hot in summer and cold in winter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Hope you can help We have a Gloworm Ultracom 38CXI combi boiler. During the Summer the taps and mixer shower run hot water consistently hot for as long as need be, but now during the Winter when the radiators are on the taps and mixer shower will run hot for only a few minutes and...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators all together in one large room. The issue is with the 4 radiators in the large room. Basically not getting hot, the first 10% of the radiator is...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock