Search the forum,

Discuss Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyparty92

Yesterday removed rad removed valves from the tails and all the rubber seals have perished and split so I need to remove the valves. But on the tails there doesent seem to be any where for me to put some adjustables round to remove the old tail? Also is 3/4" the size of all radiator tail tappings? Thank you

Most are 3/4 but usually trvs are 1/2 and some brands of lockshields. What rubber seals do you mean? Some have seals in the tail, is that what you mean? Put a photo up if you can.

Yeah rubbers in the tail so I need to replace the tails. I ment the tappings in the radiator there all 3/4" ain't they?

Yup, unless its something special, try just ptfe'n it up and giving it a crank.

Thanks. So any ideas on how to remove the old tails it looks like its just thread then the tail no where to put some adjustables on?

Not sure I'm guessing as it ain't got any places to put adjustables on it is. I think I have one of those Allen keys in my bag somewhere but if I haven't is there any possible way of doing it with a set of grips?

Sometimes. Just buy a rad spanner Radiator Spanner | NoLinkingToThis

If it's the tails with the flange that use a larger nut, then they are usually an Allen key to remove, though some old types have a couple of lumps inside. A set of grips on the edge of the flange on the tail will remove them if they're on with ptfe (& you are scrapping them). Some have a O ring seal as well as a taper & will perish. Replace whole lot.

Most rads & valves are 1/2" but some rads & valves are 3/4".

Last edited:
Or if you have the valve off as well, tighten the valve back on and spanner on the valve will turn the tail out.

I find if the the "Allen key" bit has been worn out 2 big flat head screwdrivers shoved in can do the trick or as mentioned before tighten the valve back on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Rad is leaking from TRV valve, seems to be seeping out of where the pin comes up. I tried tightening up the nut below the pin, but that didn't help. I then looked online and saw that removing the nut and packing with some plumbers tape may help, but whenever I try to remove the nut a load of...
Replies
Views
I have removed a radiator and wish to replace using existing pipework and valves. The old radiator itself was 1290mm in width with a total width tail to tail of 1330mm. The pipe to pipe measurement is 1350mm. The height of the old radiator was 430mm however I could go to 500mm with the new...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock