Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Query re leaking gland nut and snapped spindle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ella

Hi, really hoping someone can help me, I've made a bit of a pigs ear of a bit of DIY :eek: Feel free to laugh at me too :D

Our radiator was leaking so I tightened the gland nut. I tightened it too much and it wouldn't turn on/off, so I loosened it a bit and it started leaking again (I now realise I should have put in some ptfe tape, right?). Anyway, I was messing about trying to get it right and the spindle was stuck, so I tried holding that in place with a spanner whilst tightening the gland nut (I know, this is where you all get to laught at me I guess...) and the top of the sindle snapped off - the triangle shaped bit that the screw goes into to fix it to the plastic handle if that makes sense?

So...do I need to replace the whole valve? Or can I just take the spindle bit out of a radiator I don't use and replace just that bit? Or put a realy long screw through the top of the plastic handle bit so it reaches the rest of the spindle even without the triangly bit? And then pack the gland nut with ptfe tape (I assume that the fact that it stopped leaking when it was mega tight mplies that this would do the job?) and never touch the radiator again? Does any of this make sense?

Thanks in advance!

Oh dear :( So the spindle bit isn't replacable on it's own?

thanks for your reply

Bum :(

Maybe I should just call the council, like I should have done in the first place....don't think they're gonna be best pleased with my attempts!

Thanks again

Wrapping PTFE tape round the spindle only works for certain types of rad valves. Some have O ring seals instead of stuffed glands.

Thanks - all sorted now, they swapped the valves round so that the on/off is at the other end now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Query re leaking gland nut and snapped spindle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock