Search the forum,

Discuss PVC tape suitable for gas pipe protection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rf1

I have a potential job coming up involving plastic coated gas pipe buried in concrete screed and will need at least one soldered jointrequiring protection which is unavoidable – Haven't been involved much with buried pipe work and can’t find anyone supplying PVC tape specified assuitable for corrosion protection of pipe in concrete screed – would appreciate any advice on where to get it if it exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
50mm wide electrcal insualtion tape is fine. most merchants sell it. put a few layers on.

please contact redsaw or gasman to prove your gas safe registration and you can gain access to the gas safe only forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
New to the forum need to get my 10 posts then will apply for gas safe registered forum.

better to have 1 length no joints and no worries than issues later on. Speed of install saves working time as well so not a lot of difference overall

the thickness of the insulation should be 5mm thick i seem to remember in the gas regs not just covering the pipe with thin insulation tape if there was a defect in the pipe and you dont have the correct thickness you wouldnt be able to complain to the manufacturers

Use denso tape

Yes you can use denso, but you will still have to wrap it in PVC tape as it dries out in cement. Gas safe advised me off this. Best bet is find a local transco boy and ask fOr some of there yellow tape

Last edited:
Denso have their own 'self adhesive' yellow pvc tape for overwrapping the corrosion protection stuff. Assume electrical insulation tape is no use for this purpose then?

5mm in the regs?? never seen anybody rap with 5mm thick tape, must be a very big roll or very short length on a roll.

you could just keep wrapping untill you get 5mm if you want. let us know how many raps it took :)

Think tom609 is referring to the bit of BS6891 that talks about pipework buried in concrete ground floors being protected against failure caused by movement by covering with "soft, non-permeable covering material" that should be at least 5mm thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to PVC tape suitable for gas pipe protection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Afternoon everyone. Could somebody state the regulation number that dictates denso tape is no longer suitable for protecting gas pipe as it...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I am new to the forum. Trying to seek some advice on gas pipe being laid in concrete foundation. If I put the copper gas pipe in a PVC pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer &...
Replies
Views
Hi All. I have an issue with a boiler in a small flat I purchased that has very old vented system boiler currently fitted. Both boiler and water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock