Discuss pumped shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, iv been asked to fit a pumped shower but would like a bit of info as i have not fitted many. The CWSC is directly above the cylinder in the airing cuboard and is 25gallon , the bathroom is just across the hall from the airing cuboard, they have had another plumber look at the job and he was going to connect the pump up in the airing cuboard then take pipes to shower up into loft and down into bathroom which would take the pipes higher than the CWSC. You may be able to do that im not sure but i would move CWSC into loft so its higher than the shower pipes, i would also put in a bigger CWSC as i think 25 gallon is to small,they are looking at a 1.5bar pump, there is 4 people living in the house. The customer obviously wants it done right but doest want to pay over the odds, which would be the best way of doing it. Any help appreciated. :confused:

25 gallons is approx 114 Litres which should be plenty I would think, when the water level goes down in the cistern it is topped back up by mains pressure anyway. If the pipes going up into the loft are after the shower pump then it should be fine any air pockets that gather in the pipe the pump will clear that no problem.Is there any way you can run pipes below floorboards and into the bathroom? I can't see any need to move CWSC or increase its size, making a job more complicated than it should be and more expensive for the customer, that's my opinion anyway, someone else may say otherwise.

You will need to move the CWST if the shower is on the same floor as you will need a minimum of 1 meter from the tank to the shower head to activate the flow switches in the pump

thanks for replies, i think i will go with moving the tank. Did a bit of research into shower pumps and it would seem i would need to fit a negative head pump if i leave CWSC in airing cubaord as shower head will be same hight as cistern, and they seem to be around 3x the price as a positive pump so it would make sense to move the cistern into loft and improve hot water flow as well.

aw well you learn something new everyday, I've never fitted one myself I thought it would of been fine as the pipework after the pump would of been pressurised.

Something like the aqualisa visage might do you.
You might have to increase the tank size to get the 5 year guarantee though.

makes sense to move the tank into the loft anyway as will help with all other hot woater outlets anyway

If your unsure no reason why you cant fit a bigger tank in the loft and throw the old out

I bought a Salamander CT 50 pump for my shower and it was recommended that I increase the tank size to 50 gallon which I did.
Is the pump a hot and cold water pump? If so make sure cold water pipe to it has its own feed from the tank and that pipe is also on the opposite side of the CWST from the infill. This to reduce the air getting into the pump.
You will probably need a Surrey flange (refer to the pump manual) which fits into the top of the hot water cylinder which is also to reduce air getting into the pump and gives it a seperate feed so you dont branch off of the same hot water pipe that feeds the hot taps.
My cold water pipe comes down from the loft to the pump, hot water from the cylinder then back up in the loft to the shower head. I can operate mine with or without the pump due the CWST being in the loft but obviously the pressure is not so good without the pump on.
My pump is only 1.5 bar but I think its great but do be aware though that the hotwater will run out quicker if your like me and stay under the shower forever!!!!
I will try and add some photos.

great post but preference would be with an essex flange

air is the biggest killer of pumps and incorrect fitting will invalidate a warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pumped shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t...
Replies
Views
A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock