Search the forum,

Discuss Programmer/Thermostat wiring CH problem? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me, we have a 2-zone heating system that consists of 3 honeywell 2-port valves on a system/hot water tank gas boiler.

Recently the HW motorised valve broke - so I replaced it (motor/housing only) and problem solved. However when diagnosing this, I also noticed that CH2 ignores the thermostat and is always calling for heat. That is, when the thermostat is on 0 and the CH2 is on at the programmer, it's always firing up the boiler. CH1 is working correctly.

I figured it was probably the valve, so replaced that along with the HW valve while I was at it, however the problem remains exactly the same. So next I figured it must be the thermostat, so I replaced that like-for-like (£20 honeywell) and problem still remains the same! The thermostat is clicking correctly and my current buzzer shows it is certainly 'getting power'.

So now, I believe it must be either the programmer faulty on that single channel, or the wiring is bad, and has been bad since it was first installed? I've only been here 2 years and honestly not sure if this is a new or old problem - so the wiring seems more plausible?

Does anyone have any suggestions for diagnosing? Or should I just get a plumber in at this stage? I could buy a multimeter but can't say I'm confident with using/diagnosing it.

This is the system layout (attached)

This is the wiring box, black wires are the valves and the left hand side white cables are CH2/HW thermostats (attached).

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• PXL_20210709_175128532.jpg
    PXL_20210709_175128532.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210712_201856472.jpg
    PXL_20210712_201856472.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 10
1626526081735.png

The CH2 valve should only motor over and connect the endswitch with permanent live to boiler live when theres a call from programmer and through stat. This really needs a multimeter. Even if the programmer was faulty and sending a constant feed the stat should still govern the feed to motor.

Ok thanks. Looking at that diagram it looks like that taped wire from the stat should maybe be connected to 2 Neutral. But I'm way out of my depth! Is this something for a plumber or an electrician?

Reply to Programmer/Thermostat wiring CH problem? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Honeywell ST699 programmer which is working fine but I want to learn how to decommission it (disconnect it from the rest of the system). Currently I have a Honeywell Home Single Zone Thermostat (Y87RF2024) and I am thinking to get the Honeywell Home Mobile Access Kit RFG100 to get...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a really remote part of the Highlands, so paying for a plumber (or electrician?) to do this will be brutally expensive, so I need to do it myself. I have a Grant Combi 26e boiler. I'm replacing the old thermostat with a new one. Although the boiler is a combi, I think the old...
Replies
Views
Hay, I'm learning fault finding in CH systems which I'd need help with, please. I've been given a set example: have got hot water but heating. Measuring the resistance around the room thermostat and the motorised valve together gives a lower total resistance than measuring the individual...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to link a Hive heating & hot water dual channel receiver to an old Vaillant THERMOcompact VU GB 242/1 E system boiler. It has an internal programmer that is similar to a time switch 120 (plug in seven day programmer) This programmer is connect to a terminal strip using 345 (three...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock