Search the forum,

Discuss price list for boiler repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjgas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
any body had the same experiance as me today wife car gearbox gone bought second hand one needs it fitting took my self of to three garages asking for price one out one in each one looked at their computer and said exact same price when asked a freind about this he reckons they have a web site price list for repairs would that not be agood idea for boiler repairs????

Well if the garage owners have any sense, they will know what their competitors are chargeing so therefore the chargeing will be very similar to each other. Those that are over charging will only get the occaissional customer to rip off, those that are seen to be too cheap can also have a negative effect on customers, thinking that there'll probably end with shoddy work. Toe the party line then the customer has to pick one of them and that probably boils down to customer service more than anything else....

what i can never work out is if you dont pay for a repair they can hold the car but when the plumber gets knocked he has to go to court for his money

the garage does this by looking at the main dealer service schedules.
ie. how many hours does it take then multiply by hourly rate.

my wifes duelmass flywheel went on the rav4 a couple of weeks ago, 3 clutch centers later ÂŁ8-900 and main dealer ÂŁ1,300 for the repair. i asked my bro in laws mate who does mobile service and he came back with a rehersed schedual and time taken fron the very same source...ÂŁ1,300..joker.

took it to a local garage as i sourced the part @ ÂŁ420 and he asked for ÂŁ200 cash, took him all day.

And that is exactly why our trade is being downgraded (price wise). customers are searching on what they can get on the internet and engineers are forced to match it or lose the job.

Unfortunately some poorer quality engineers that struggle for work and drop their prices accordingly, drive the price down for quality engineers.
Imho All cheap work is carried out by taking a short cut somewhere?

Its a true saying "you get what you pay for".

A quality job always remains long after the price is forgotten

I had to have a new clutch for car got 3 different quotes from local garages - 2 of which we use often / know well. Although we had it done by the cheapest they were all garages which we had confodence in.

Same with plumbers - reputation is important - then you are hopefully competing with the other plumbers and not just every handyman with a card in local shop window.

For car repairs there is some computer software which gives repair times for every car and component. ie remove and refit gearbox 4.5hrs,clutch 0.25hrs extra etc etc. Not everyone goes by these but quite a lot do. In general cars are all the same apart from any unusual things like broken bolts etc which may crop up. (I have an old version from a few years ago if anyone wants to know any times or anything)

For boilers its probably a lot harder in as much as the engineer has to travel to the job,collect parts, the boiler may be in a horrid position with lots of kitchen cupboards in the way etc. Or spending 20minutes clearing a path across the loft to get to the f&e tank which is my pet hate. Also getting airlocks out can be a problem sometimes due to the system layout. Too many variables to give an accurate time I think. Also I find the smaller jobs I will spend more time driving etc than working on the boiler. But I guess this is why most will charge a call out charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to price list for boiler repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Current boiler Worcester Greenstar 30CDi installed Aug 2011. Started showing error EA. Initially a rest made it work again but last Thursday it would reset but then showed the same error after a few minutes. No heating (only problem is heated towel rail does not heat) but also no hot water. Then...
Replies
Views
I've a client with a rusty 20yr+ old Certikin 180 (44kw) oil pool boiler that needs changing. Certikins replacement looks like it is the exact same boiler. It has a riello r40 burner and non condensing 85% efficient boiler... Oftec say it wouldn't be compliant and would have to contact Building...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm hoping to get some advice. I moved into a new build house a few years ago. A Firebird Silverpac external oil boiler (kabin pak type) was installed which is situated on top of the detached garage base - I've now decided to build the garage meaning the boiler will be now be located...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock