Search the forum,

Discuss potterton kingfisher 2 CF 50 boiler making noise... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MP plumb

system boiler
floor standing gas boiler
cylinder abover boiler
boiler im not used to fault finding.....

the boiler seems to make a bubbling noise after an hour or so, or some times when the boiler shuts down. very intermittent noise, i didnt get to hear it after an hour of waiting but as soon as i left, the noise happened and the customer rung me! typical! and it only happens for a couple minutes.

if it was a 'boiling sound; id say the heat ex but aparantly its not that sort of sound n if it was heat ex, wouldnt i hear it as it heats up?

also...

a while back the overflow from the header tank was overflowing but it isnt any more....

from certs i can see the boiler has been serviced recently.

how can i force the sound so i can work out the problem... or do you know what it could be?

What work did you carry out on the system?

turn the boiler stat on full, this may make the fault reoccur probably the boiler "kettling" makes a popping sort of noise? I would tell customer its normal for a boiler of this age and sugest a powerflush and adding some noise reducer/inhibitor afterwards.

You could also set the bp at the minimum setting, thsi shoul help

i didnt do any thing because i was waiting for the noise to see where the problem was as she didnt know if it was in her boiler, cylinder or loft... coz noise travels. i think its from boiler.

i took front of boiler off, turned it up to max....still nothing. turned the room stat up to full so the boiler ran at full whilst i was there, waited around for an hour coz she said the noise normally happens after an hour, but nothing. as soon as i left she rung and said the boiler made the noise when she turned the room stat back down to normal.

meaning the boiler turned off coz the room stat was satisfied.... but it doesnt explain it becasue the boiler was satisfied after a while whilst i was there with hot and heating which is why i asked her to turn room sat up to fire boiler up again

That boiler is almost as old as me, it is probably just Kettling,
A squirt of fairy liquid or Fernox boiler noise silencer will do the trick.
PS, I preferred your former id.

Sounds like its kettling to me aswell, very common on these boilers.

I'd go with the silencer or fairy liquid on these as it used to quiet them down. Be careful if you go for the power flush as these heat exchangers were renowned for being full of casting sand left over from when manufacturered making them noisier with age, hence the addtional noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to potterton kingfisher 2 CF 50 boiler making noise... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock