Discuss Possible to replace this flush valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

Got called out to take a look at a cloakroom loo that "hasn't worked for ages". Turned out it had started leaking from the flush valve to cistern seal and the doughnut (leaked a little when the cistern was full and then leaked a lot when flushed!). They had just tied the ball valve up and left it.

When I got there I found this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1349886409.763431.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1349886489.834928.jpg

I must admit that i've not come across one of these before - Is it possible to replace these flush valves? (I'm assuming that a standard close coupling kit will take care of the donut)

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an old ceramic/porcelain siphon.
I would stick in a height adjustable unit, which could take care of any overflow issues.
And a new close coupled kit with donut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if you not set on using a new siphon you could use a fluid master dual flush fits both 1½" to 2" outlets
not a bad price either

Thanks everyone.

The customer certainly isn't set on a siphon - i'll look into the fluid master dual flush.

Fluidmaster do a dual flush valve with a handle option now instead of a button. Up for half flush down for full flush.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

P.s last time i saw a ceramic valve like that the w/c had a syphonic pan so check first as you may need a non standard part.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

A short projection Macdee syphon will fit. Fit a new handle and assembly as well, they only cost a fiver.

Last time I saw a syphon like that, Scotland were still qualifying for World Cups.

Thanks guys.

Shame I can't use a fluidmaster - I'm wondering whether this might be a can of worms once I take it all to bits :)

Thanks guys.

Shame I can't use a fluidmaster - I'm wondering whether this might be a can of worms once I take it all to bits :)
A BIG can of worms mate. Be cheaper long term to fit a modern budget toilet that has parts that are easily replaced. By the time you fart about with that relic, and have to come back several times, a new loo will be the best option. Try a plumb sure or a Wickes loo.

A BIG can of worms mate. Be cheaper long term to fit a modern budget toilet that has parts that are easily replaced. By the time you fart about with that relic, and have to come back several times, a new loo will be the best option. Try a plumb sure or a Wickes loo.

Good call :)

I'm going to recommend a replacement loo.

Unless im reading the origional post wrong isnt the problem just a leaking loo. Why not take syphon out, reseal, replace donut washer and give that a go. Ive only had an old ceramic syphon out once in my life but its the same as the modern plastic ones. Well same principle anyway. Just a different shape

Unless im reading the origional post wrong isnt the problem just a leaking loo. Why not take syphon out, reseal, replace donut washer and give that a go. Ive only had an old ceramic syphon out once in my life but its the same as the modern plastic ones. Well same principle anyway. Just a different shape
Yea, it may well be just a few new washers needed. You won't know till it's taken apart. Worst ceramic syphons are the type with a separate base & held together with heavy brass countersunk bolts. If any the bolts rot, the syphon won't work & a pain to get similar bolts.
Chances are, if you had all washers & piece of heavy plastic sheet for cutting syphon washers, plus handle linkages etc, you could fix it & in one go, but could turn in to a waste of time.

it's repairable, but you'll make more money and have less problems if you can sell them a new wc & cistern.

if you decide to replace the syphon, you'll find when you take the old one out that it'll almost certainly be 2"or even slightly larger.

so unless you've got a spare fluidmaster 1 1/2"- 2" rubber, you'll have a problem fitting a standard sypon and getting it sealed, you'll probably find the bolts / wingnuts corroded as well.

Dont get me wrong best id replace the thing. Yes the older stuff is built to last unlike most stuff today but spares can be an issue like you said. I was just putting a different option out there. Pointless everybody saying the same thing

Thanks for the input everyone.

so unless you've got a spare fluidmaster 1 1/2"- 2" rubber, you'll have a problem fitting a standard sypon and getting it sealed, you'll probably find the bolts / wingnuts corroded as well.

Eveything is corroded both inside and outside the cistern.

Thinking about it after the advice I've received, I'm getting increasingly convinced that a repair is probably going to be a potential nightmare.

I think it's new loo time for my customer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possible to replace this flush valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there. I have a Cersanit close coupled toilet which as started leaking between the cistern and the bowl when flushed. I've taken the cistern...
Replies
Views
Hi I've just had installed a rimless Rak Resort Maxi close coupled back to the wall loo. From day 1 the problems have been: 1. It takes a...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock