Discuss Pipe noise near stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuck – So you mean there is an issue on the supply side between the house and the main in the street?

I was just pointing out that water coming in from the main will be at ground temperature, perhaps 10-15°C cooler than it is inside your house. If this is the mechanism there would probably be a slight delay before the clicking started and it would gradually slow down after a minute or two of running water.

Another possibility is your water meter is knackered. Here's a recording of a fairly noisy one:

If this is the issue the clicking rate will vary with flow in a fairly repeatable and persistent manner.

Noise can propagate quite quite well along a pipe full of water.

There are doubtless other possibilities but those would be high on my list of possibilities to consider.

Zzzjim – yes there are compression joins in the pipework past the stopcock, what is “Best’s technique”]........

I think zzzjim was just saying my idea of connecting above stopcock with temporary pipe to outside would confirm if noise is at or before (outside) the stopcock.

Ah right feel a bit stupid asking that now!!!

Anyway just went outside and lifted the cover for the water meter with the tap running and I can hear the exact noise I'm hearing in the house in there so I think it could be the meter. Rang the water company and they are going to come out and have a look!

Cheers , Modern technology !
(Thanks Chuck )
Just wait n see time !

(No such thing as a "Silly" question)

Yes fingers crossed they sort it!

Thanks all for your help and advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe noise near stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock