Discuss Oversize threaded copper pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come across some copper pipe that is threaded, as such it has thicker walls than normal 15/22mm pipe and is oversize so standard 15/22mm fittings will not fit. I need to reroute this pipe and as such need some converter fittings. I have managed to get some 15mm converter couplings, I need some 22mm converter couplings and if possible some 15mm elbows. It would be great if the 15mm elbows converted to standard 15mm pipe but if not then I can use a 15mm converter coupling after the elbow. Any ideas of suppliers I would appreciate it.

Yes I have seen it before. Must be very old. Good to get the scrap!

Are the threads not standard BSPT? Can you not unscrew and fit 1/2" x 22mm couplings.

If not, try independent merchants for coversion fittings

This will be standard Iron pipe size copper 1/2", 3/4" or whatever so will be BSP taper thread and as such a standard FI Brass fitting will work as long as it's better quality than some of the rubbish I've seen .. do not use an Iron fitting directly onto copper due to corrosion risk.

Didn't get to check the thread size of the stuff I took out - was too quick getting it off and into my scrap bin!

Thanks tamz and these would probably be an ideal solution except one end the pipe tails are only be a few inches long and disappear over an RSJ, would be impossible to hold and first hit they could disappear completely. Do not know what is holding them or if there are any bends once they disappear.

Thanks tamz, hope to get the fittings but that would do the job if I cannot. I may hire one anyway to see how it and if it does the job, it may come in useful in the future.

i have come across this a few times. its quite common in the leicestershire area. It is thick walled hard copper 16mm OD similar to table Y and you will therefore probably not be able to use a socket forming tool on it. From my experience its nick name is "twenty thread" and you can buy a twenty thread adaptor from NS plumbers merchants in coalville Leicestershire 01530 ??????. Its a brass end feed socket that is 16mm one end and 15mm the other. Another way is to use a "Philmac UTC" (universal transition coupling.)

or buy a 1/2 to 15mm end feed coupler or a 16mm to 15mm compression coupler maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oversize threaded copper pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds. The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am trying to fit a replacement tap to a mini-sink that's built in to the top of a toilet. The original tap isn't made any more by the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock