Discuss Old cookers and gas safe certificates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this article available to view online anywhere to your knowledge? Reason I ask is it's good to understand the requirements properly and I keep hearing conflicting stories.

Available on line by login in to Gas Safe. Just need to be registered for that!
it was really as a pointer for the gas fitter

So the consensus seems to be that the cooker, if all the safety features as designed by the manufacturer work, the cooker should be able to pass a so-called landlord's check and that the criteria for a Gas Installation Safety Certificate do not change if it is a let property.

Great then. So assuming the gas installer is just being advisory (I'll find out), I'll take it off her hands: little things are starting to go wrong with my own gas cooker (Stoves Newhome - by comparison with the Solaire it's a lump of junk). Apparently she has a tenant lined up - the neighbour's daughter (trouble ahead if you ask me, but no one has asked me) who prefers electric anyway so she's going to have an electric cooker fitted.

Absolutely no reason not to pass a well maintained and looked after gas cooker no matter how old it is. It works in exactly the same way as an other cooker.
Even if it was one of the old new worlds that had the gas poker to light the grill it wouldn't matter. It is either working as it was designed to do or not.

Btw if she's renting to someones daughter and she's anything like most of the young team these days the cooker will never be used. Its either microwave or ring a takeaway.

Believe it or not my daughter at uni managed to empty a house by putting a ready made meal in for 200 mins instead of 20.
Apparently the plastic reacting was like mustard gas

Hahaha. And these are supposed to be the clever generation lol
Fk me what will the next lot be like
I'm actually still laughing at that one lol

Yeah well, there are plumbers who have BAs in English Literature. After all, a lot of people need to make a lot of money out of students so everyone needs to go to university, even if it isn't in their interest.

Did I tell you a friend's brother (he was 17) was left alone at home by his parents and he called an electrician out because a lightbulb had blown and he didn't know how to change it? At least he had the initiative to get it sorted, I suppose.

To be frank I have 3 kids of worrying age. 15 16 and 19.
They are all ****ing useless.
Scares the **** out of me these ****ers are the future.
Cant even flush a toilet

Tbh Phil my ma slapped me in the 60's for not flushing the toilet or pyshing on the floor but i catch yer drift

I think that's probably why I'm a plumber - we had no money to get everything done and my so we got on with it. Eventually I discovered it was better if I did this sort of thing than let my mother do this sort of thing

('I put my fingers behind the fuse cartridge to get better grip'.
'Well, you could at least have switched the consumer unit mains switch off first if you were going to wrap your fingers around the pins')

In fairness, I did learn how to change spark plugs, oil, and contact breaker points from her.

Which is why I'm surprisingly good at getting anything ancient and obsolete working again. Really useful when you're doing repairs to get new custom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old cookers and gas safe certificates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, my mother had an electric cooker installed yesterday. The guy who fitted it said it shouldn't be close to the gas pipe but it is. The red...
Replies
Views
Just to be really clear I will not be doing any of the work mentioned below. This will all be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers. We're in the...
Replies
Views
My mother in law purchased a free standing New World gas cooker 25 years ago when she was 71 years old and it was used for a couple of months. We...
Replies
Views
First post so apologies if its in the wrong place. If a gas grill on a gas cooker doesn't light due to no gas is it classed as AR as flame...
Replies
Views
Burger
B
I currently live in a house with oil heating and an electric cooker but we’ve saved up enough to buy a house of our own. Me and emma ( my...
Replies
Views
A

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock