Search the forum,

Discuss Move gas meter options in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Just to be really clear I will not be doing any of the work mentioned below. This will all be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers.

We're in the process of buying a property which is a bit of a doer upper. One room houses the gas meter and boiler and we are keen on moving both of these to turn the room into a bedroom regardless of whether regulations state they are safe in a bedroom.

As we don't currently have access to the property to show round plumbers would like some advice on whether my ideas make sense or are completely nuts.

Looking externally this is a move of approx 2.3m

gas-line-external.thumb.png.d117e8029ff2a43f90e18e94d4fc2745.png

But if looked at internally this would be a move of around 1.78m.

224801683_Screenshot2021-11-21at06_45_43.png.20841083bc2113f259f7344a196db4e2.png

I've been quoted £531.60 for the external move by the transporter which doesn't sound too bad to me.

Does anyone know if I would expect to pay more or less for the move internally with the supplier (British Gas)? This would I am guessing involve connecting a pipe to the existing incoming pipe, running it under floorboards and out the wall on the other side of the room to the new external meter cupboard. Does that sound right or would this breach regulations?

Next question is how will the gas pipe from the new meter location enter the property? Is under ground level (as you can with mains water) acceptable with the correct sleeving? Would this use TracPipe or similar? Or would it need to enter the building above ground level above the DPC?

I ask about entering the building as I already need to dig a trench/pit where the proposed new meter will be for other services so thinking of the neatest solution. Also planning on moving the boiler from this room to a detached garage ~1.3m away from the main building so this will already require buried gas pipework, a tee with one side going in to the house for hob and oven and one side going in to the garage for the boiler.

You can’t move the head / gas internally so your only option is external and tbh good price from the transport to move

Depends where the boiler is but normally straight out the back of the meter as your changing the boiler eg new this might need to be upgraded etc best speak to a gas safe engineer

You can’t move the head / gas internally so your only option is external and tbh good price from the transport to move
Thanks. It's actually my preferred option so happy with this.

normally straight out the back of the meter
So not possible to have the pipe out of the meter going directly down to burial so it would do something like this?

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 17.14.19.png

Limited research I have done suggests ok

Regulation 19(2)–(6) paragraphs 5

(5) No person shall install any installation pipework or any service pipework under the foundations of a building or in the ground under the base of a wall or footings unless adequate steps are taken to prevent damage to the installation pipework or service pipework in the event of the movement of those structures or the ground.

So my thinking was with the right ducting or sleeving this would be ok? Would TracPipe be sufficient to be adequate steps?

That’s fine but can’t go through footings

Also it’s not best practices to drill / cut a hole underground can lead to damp etc

That’s fine but can’t go through footings
Yeah sorry, crappy powerpoint skills rather than an intension to go through footings.

Get what you're saying about about holes underground and damp. Will make sure it gets protected adequately. They do this all the time with mains water so guessing I would follow the same process. Will be sure to ask the Gas Safe person about this when I go ahead

Reply to Move gas meter options in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock