Discuss Old cookers and gas safe certificates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
A couple of years ago, my mother moved house and paid an RGI to move her existing ca. 1981 Solaire New World cooker into her new house (there was already a gas connexion and cooker point). Seeing as this cooker seems likely to outlive my MUCH newer cooker, I can't say I blame her.

Now she is looking at renting out her house, she is being told by the same RGI that while he's happy that the cooker is safe and okay, he's not happy giving it a Landlord's certificate. This, to me, makes no sense at all, but the old dear 'hasn't got round' to asking him why :(

It's not a big problem - she'll buy another cooker (but she's offered me her old one and I'm slightly keen). What I'm trying to work out is what corners her RGI has cut, if any...

Some guesses are as follows:

1. That moving a cooker into a different building counts as a "new" install and that therefore the cooker should not, strictly speaking, have been installed if it was not up to current standards. Given that the RGI knows the cooker has been moved, he cannot pass it on a certificate.

2. Something to do with the clearances to wall-hung shelves above the cooker - simple and easy solution would be to remove the shelves from the wall. God only knows why he said nothing at the time.

3. (Not my idea). That the fact that the hobs do not have flame-failure devices, and the oven does not have a flame failure device in the modern sense (it knocks the oven gas down to a minimum if the thermocouple senses cold, but won't turn the gas off entirely - this is the original design, not a fault), means that while the cooker is not faulty, it does not meet stricter requirements for letting. This idea sounds like rubbish to me, because the house is not a flat or HMO and so my understanding is the gas installation is either "safe" (i.e it can be certified as safe) or it isn't (i.e. it is ID or AR). Had a look on Gas Safe website, but found nothing to support this view.

4. The cooker is faulty, but it is 'relatively' safe, so the RGI turned a blind eye to it until he had to put his name to its safety :S

5. (My mother's idea) That the cooker is old and therefore could develop a fault during the course of a year (like any car going in for MOT, I pointed out).

Any ideas would be received with gratitude? I'm trying to work out what her RGI is playing at (particularly as I need a gas run replacing at my own house and am starting to be put off this guy).

Last edited:
When the missus puts up a shelf I neither condemn it nor wish to certify it. The judgement that your mother will be safe with a 1981 cooker with which she is familiar and has taken care of, has proved correct. His experience of how cookers are abused in rented property may well explain his reluctance. Don't be put off by his caution, give him a chance to explain.

I'm all for a pragmatic approach. I just want to hear his explanation - but then I'm not the customer, and unless dear mater 'gets around' to asking him, I'll never know.

The reason I'm on point of law mode here is mostly just because I'm a nosy bugger ('I have an enquiring mind').

Cheers. R

if it was safe to install its safe to pass a landlords cert, only reason i can see is he installed it incorrectly/ not to the british standards and does not want to sign his name to it.

still cant see why not tho if its safe and passes all required checks.

he might have it wrong about rented property requirements
there was an article in the gas safe magazine recently covering this.

he might have it wrong about rented property requirements
there was an article in the gas safe magazine recently covering this.

Is this article available to view online anywhere to your knowledge? Reason I ask is it's good to understand the requirements properly and I keep hearing conflicting stories.

Last edited:
Should be fine. Very few checks to do comparatively so compared to more complicated appliances.

My advise would to be rent it without the cooker as your mother will be responsible for repair or replacement if it goes wrong!

I agree with the gas fitter your mum understands the cooker so moving house is neither here nor there but renting it out it might be prudent to have instructions on how to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old cookers and gas safe certificates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, my mother had an electric cooker installed yesterday. The guy who fitted it said it shouldn't be close to the gas pipe but it is. The red...
Replies
Views
Just to be really clear I will not be doing any of the work mentioned below. This will all be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers. We're in the...
Replies
Views
My mother in law purchased a free standing New World gas cooker 25 years ago when she was 71 years old and it was used for a couple of months. We...
Replies
Views
First post so apologies if its in the wrong place. If a gas grill on a gas cooker doesn't light due to no gas is it classed as AR as flame...
Replies
Views
Burger
B
I currently live in a house with oil heating and an electric cooker but we’ve saved up enough to buy a house of our own. Me and emma ( my...
Replies
Views
A

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock