Search the forum,

Discuss Oil - Bet you didn't know this one!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dontknowitall

Guess what? I phoned OFTEC this morning and it's not illegal to install an oil boiler. I thought it was. Makes you wonder why we spend all these fees if any Tom, Dick and Harry and put one in.

I was phoned last night and asked to commission a new Rayburn.

Got there this morning (after phoning OFTEC) and found it was installed in August and has the usual faults one would expect to find from a non-OFTEC guiser. No sleeves in the oil pipe fittings, a second oil filter hadn't been installed (as required in the installation instructions - and supplied by Aga no less!), an oil leak inside the Rayburn, etc.

It's been running since August without having the pump pressure and air tested and now it needs a service before I can commission it. Back again next week when it's been serviced by ... the non-oil, original installer!!!

I queried this non-OFTEC installation and was told that a building inspector from the local council can sign off the installation but will need an OFTEC technician to commission it (with the warranty number being entered on the CD/10.)

And I thought we were reportable to a) OFTEC and b) the local authorities!!

And I thought the reason we pay nearly £1,000 a year (training, registration, 3rd party insurance, FGA, etc) was so that local jobbies couldn't install appliances incorrectly. Where's the come back for breaking the regulations? Nowhere!

Needless to say I've covered my behind to avoid warranty issues, etc.

Any 'competent' person can install as long as they local building authority is notified and inspects it. Which is why there is a space on the cd11 for the cd10 or building notification number. Shame the local building control is clueless about oil. So really why bother with oftec :)

A mate of mine went to commission a warmflow boiler last year. They had installed the flue at high level and used the snorkel off of the rdb burner to connect the boiler flue to the high level flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil - Bet you didn't know this one!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock