Discuss Oil almost ran out, have I put enough back in to operate? LOCK OUT/No feed??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BiGAL76

A couple of weeks ago my boiler 'Locked out' (Its a Firebird combi oil). I thought the oil had ran out,It wasn't totally empty but it was very low so i assume there was simply not enough to feed the boiler.

I bought 120 litres which was what I could afford this month hoping it may be enough to at least have some hot water in the cold weather until i got paid again.
Obviously in a 1000L tank thats not a lot :)

The situation now is that the boiler is locking out, and does not seem to be drawing the fuel into pump etc.
I have removed fuel feed line at connection to boiler to see if i could draw off an amount to clear any air, but no sign of fuel in line at that point.

I assumed the role of the pump/burner is to 'suck' fuel into boiler so thought the pump would draw fuel down the line until it got into the system to operate.
I was told there was an 'allan key' fixture on unit to 'bleed' any air out of pump, i located what I thought was this on the actual unit (next to a small window with a numbered measurement wheel) and turned the nut anti clockwise but no signs of any air escaping...I expected a little hissing?)

So I am stumped lol. My history in plumbing is that whilst i completed my C&G I did not go back to learn about gas/oil so my understanding of basic principles and mechanics are functional but not complete.
Its important i sort this out as the weather is very cold and if i can save myself money by sorting it out and in process learning something then i will.
Is this a simple case of not enough fuel in tank (120L) or have I missed a step out in attempting to use system after fuel went so low/empty?

If anyone can guide me to a step by step guide for this I would be thankful.
Thanks in advance for any help guys.

from what you have just said, I'd imagine you have just totally knocked out all your boiler settings as far as pump pressure and air draught go, so unless you get an engineer, preferably oftec out, if you do manage to get it going you'll probably be using more oil or just sooting up your boiler.

this is simply a case of someone with no knowledge messing with a piece of kit you don't understand, would you do this to a gas boiler ?as its illegal, as should be the case with oil systems, but oil boilers haven't killed as many people yet, however you are doing your best to bring that number up.

As far as step by step guide, not from me. Sorry to be vitriolic but its time the law was changed, you may be short of cash but do you run your car with no brakes? Surely you need to prioritise and see the need for calling in an expert.

Being vitriolic is fine, as long as long as one takes into account any preceding circumstances. Clearly you have not, I never said i was a practicing professional. I completed studies but began work in another sector to support my family with a regular income. Unfortunately in the last few weeks before this was done we ran out of fuel with no way of affording more.

I object the assumption you make of my being a tinkerer. Don't we all want to expand our knowdledge and save money if it is both practical AND safe?
If what you say is true then i have no issue with calling in a professional to inspect the unit. But you need to take a step back from your judgemental throne and realise that peoples circumstances dictate their behaviour sometimes.
I certainly would not put anybody at risk by operating on equiptment without understanding.
The simple procedures i described above were calculated and researched before attempted AND in line with what the manufacturers manual recommended as steps following oil depletion.

If anybody else has a more balanced opinion and some advice then that would be appreciated.
If they concur an engineer needs calling then I shall of course arrange that.
Thanks.

Thank you Gray.
When you say an air lock would that be located in the line or the pump/boiler itself?
I did not remember to add in original post that there were some air associated noises in the boiler room pipes a few nights ago.

And before you contemplate giving further advice or opinion do not worry, I will not be tinkering, If the task requires somebody with the know how they will be called, to be honest a big part of my enquiry is also a desire to learn and understand for the future as i lpan on returning to studies next term in this area :)

As grey said, though you have adjusted the combustion settings now (allen screw next to window) so it will need setting up with a flue gas analiser and confirmation that the fuel pressure is correct.

As to wether it is possible to bleed a oil line with only a small amount of oil in the tank it is a pain, though possible, made much easier with a vacuum pump.

So to sum up, you may have been alright, have fiddled with the wrong thing and now definatly need a engineer to sort out the problem

Thanks Roger, frustrating that I did what i did but I accept the error and will call somebody in.
See now this is how advice and putting somebody right on their mistakes should be...Informed and illustrated. Hell we all screw up, but we learn from it and when the advice is like the last 2 posts then it ensures we dont do the same thing twice.

Appreciate the help guys thank you.

Get an engineer, you've potentially doubled the cost of the fix by having a go.

I agree, not knocking you in anyway but it does read as though you've knocked your oil pressure / air calibrations out of kilter which will cost you more in the long run.

Get an OFTEC guy in, maybe there's one of us near to you or you could find one here.

And ask him while he's there to show you how to bleed your oil line.

I agree, not knocking you in anyway but it does read as though you've knocked your oil pressure / air calibrations out of kilter which will cost you more in the long run.

Get an OFTEC guy in, maybe there's one of us near to you or you could find one here.

And ask him while he's there to show you how to bleed your oil line.

Good advice on the bleeding. Especially if your handy with a spanner. Hate bleeding oil lines, so much money for so little time.

I'd rather spend 10 minutes teaching someone how to bleed their oil line while I'm out on a service or repair than get called out to do it.

I'd rather spend 10 minutes teaching someone how to bleed their oil line while I'm out on a service or repair than get called out to do it.

LOL ok thanks guys, I have booked a registered engineer now who is in fact the guy who installed the boiler.
Live and learn eh? Thank you for all the comments and have a good xmas everyone.

LOL ok thanks guys, I have booked a registered engineer now who is in fact the guy who installed the boiler.
Live and learn eh? Thank you for all the comments and have a good xmas everyone.

Let's hope you have a warm one :)

You too mate

Being vitriolic is fine, as long as long as one takes into account any preceding circumstances. Clearly you have not, I never said i was a practicing professional. I completed studies but began work in another sector to support my family with a regular income. Unfortunately in the last few weeks before this was done we ran out of fuel with no way of affording more.

I see where youre coming from, but I too have suffered recently with not being able to work for 13 weeks and suffering all the resultant problems, so when tyres need replacing etc the credit card has taken a big hit.

I object the assumption you make of my being a tinkerer. Don't we all want to expand our knowdledge and save money if it is both practical AND safe?
If what you say is true then i have no issue with calling in a professional to inspect the unit. But you need to take a step back from your judgemental throne and realise that peoples circumstances dictate their behaviour sometimes.
I certainly would not put anybody at risk by operating on equiptment without understanding.

From what you said initially, you have been exactly what you claim not to be, a tinkerer and I'm sorry to say knocking your burner settings out could if something else went wrong could put people at risk.

The simple procedures i described above were calculated and researched before attempted AND in line with what the manufacturers manual recommended as steps following oil depletion.

If anybody else has a more balanced opinion and some advice then that would be appreciated.
If they concur an engineer needs calling then I shall of course arrange that.
Thanks.

My opinion my not be balanced in your view, and I did apologise for being vitriolic, but from what the others said, you do need an engineer in now to set the burner up from scratch. As croppie says, its easier to bleed a pipe of air locks if you get your boy to show you when he's on site and cheaper in the long run.

Do have a happy and warm xmas and look over the techie shoulder when he is there and if your N devon based I'd be happy to show you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil almost ran out, have I put enough back in to operate? LOCK OUT/No feed??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back