Search the forum,

Discuss noisy non return valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masey

Gas Engineer
I have a unvented system and have run a secondary return on the hot water due to the size of the property. I have a non return valve directly after the bronze pump that rattles and is causing a nuisance. Is there a diff type of double check valve i can use to stop this rattling?

I normally use this type.
But it must be installed in the horizontal or with the arrow pouting up.

Attachments

• ae235.jpg
    ae235.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Brass-Horizontal-Check-Valve-CN404.jpg
    Brass-Horizontal-Check-Valve-CN404.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Those check valves always rattle, the swing valve above will remedy it & prolong pump life probably

ive found sometimes that no returnes can be noisy when there the spring type and they've jumped out of place, try replacing the valve like for like first or as above use the swing valve

swing valve all the way less to go wrong

fbd570bd29da76435fbe174eb2b55476.jpg

I've installed a double check valve. Have no idea if it's spring loaded or no? Maybe I'll try and like for like swap and see what happens. I've never heard of the swing valve before?

fbd570bd29da76435fbe174eb2b55476.jpg

I've installed a double check valve. Have no idea if it's spring loaded or no? Maybe I'll try and like for like swap and see what happens. I've never heard of the swing valve before?

Wrong type mate Google swing valve and install one

Ok I'll pick one up tomorrow from pipe centre. Any reason why it has to be installed horizontal? My NRV currently points down after my pump then into my megaflo.

Ok I'll pick one up tomorrow from pipe centre. Any reason why it has to be installed horizontal? My NRV currently points down after my pump then into my megaflo.

So the flap closes but some have a spring on them and there ok horizontal

Swing valve need weight of water to close it fully?

Swing valve need weight of water to close it fully?

Back flow closes/ the weight of the swing it fully

I put it up as I wasn`t sure that there would be enough water there not doing gas boilers.

I put it up as I wasn`t sure that there would be enough water there not doing gas boilers.

Not a problem only stupid question is the one you don't ask

But the pressure of the unvented cylinder will surely close it? It's basically another hot water outlet on the cylinder. I thought the NRV was to protect the pump?

But the pressure of the unvented cylinder will surely close it? It's basically another hot water outlet on the cylinder. I thought the NRV was to protect the pump?

Will open one way but will shut if the water back flows

Think about it Dan what pressure is there at the other end of the return away from the pump?

So long as the hot & cold are all balanced & the pump is running when any hot water drawn, then I am not convinced that a non-return is required but the MI's alway show. It is installed to stop cold water from the feed being drawn back up the return to the taps missing out the cylinder as it were.

When no water is being drawn then both sides of the check are at the same pressure but flow from the pump will push the gate open so water can circulate around the closed circuit.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. Makes sense when you look at like that. I'll get a new swing check valve today just to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to noisy non return valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock