Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss New site member... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Runnybabbit!

Hi all,

Just joined the site, and saying hello to all. Looking at retraining to be a domestic plumber, or possibly more. Have been a soldier first then HGV1 driver for most of my working life, and yes, I'm old! Situation now demands I find an employment that gives me a better quality of life rather than hunting the money (last 20 years worked abroad). This looks like a good prospect, and though I probably won't get rich, I should still be comfortable.

Just about to take the plunge and start training, so a long way to go yet, but have taken advice from friends, three of which are plumbers, all with their own business (not in my locale!) and they've said go for it, so - here goes!

Thanks for that!

your taking a big chance the state of the country at the moment.
you won't even touch a descent yrs wage the first yr. let alone be comfortable.
you'll need a few grand to start up with tools,van,insurance,advertising etc.
and you think people are going to let you loose on their heating system. not on your nelly.
some plumbers are not even doing a full week at the moment and they are fully trained and been in the game 20 yrs.

Welcome mate , See how the "recession" pans out first. I did one of these courses a few months ago In total the outlay of cash injected has touched at least 12,000 quid so if you can see that over then o.k. That is what I have spent and I am not pulling in enough to live off maybe 100- 200 quid max . I was naive to retrain when I did and some of these adverts saying you can pull in 40'000 a year is nonsense on a level2 qualification! You will be lucky to pull in 8000 in your first year . Your only choice is to go self employed as you are too old to take on . Competition is rediculous even on the tiling front you are looking at quoting low as hell just to pull in the money . I just did 25 square mtrs for 250 pounds brick pattern just to get the job and took me all week. There are also large amounts of immigrants willing to work for low as they are your competition. Explore other avenues before you come to your decision , plastering , lock smith, for example. much cheaper to retrain in those and then see how the trades pan out without robbing your bank! PM me anytime give me a call if you like I know the pitfalls !

Hi to you all again, and thanks to both Dave UK, and John McGinty for the welcome and comments, I will pm you shortly with my thoughts John!

I agree also with what you've said about the costs and earning potential, and it is worrying I must admit. I'm still looking at all the options, and will think carefully before diving off the board, so to speak.

With regard to your own work, I hope things look up for you all...

Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New site member... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock