Search the forum,

Discuss New Plumber looking for NVQ Level 3 Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevesomerton

Hello Plumbers Forum

I am new to Plumbing trade and I in the process of completing my NVQ Level 3 Qualification.

I was hoping that there may be some Plumbers on this forum who would have the time to help me get some experience on some boiler & central heating installations. (I am happy to pay for this).

If there are then please give me a shout on the forum.

I am 44 years old, VERY reliable and easy going, based in London but will travel (England & Wales Only).

Here is my Facebook page https://www.************/stevesomerton

This worse than than the seventies where you could not start on a job without a union card. Except now you have to pay a private company to practice your trade. Total cow poo. Glad I'm out of it.

This worse than than the seventies where you could not start on a job without a union card. Except now you have to pay a private company to practice your trade. Total cow poo. Glad I'm out of it.

Que?

So there were no Guilds of Master Craftsmen in the old days that you paid your dues to?

Or did you just blag it?

The world we work in is the world we live in, it is what it is, accept it, or carry on believing the world is flat, and just walk to the edge :)

The EETPU and Jib took my dues over many years but also gave something back.
Que?

So there were no Guilds of Master Craftsmen in the old days that you paid your dues to? What this another cash cow?

Or did you just blag it? Is that walking on the edge?

The world we work in is the world we live in, it is what it is, accept it, or carry on believing the world is flat, and just walk to the edge :)

Literally being an apprentice is orthless here in UK. If I am compare the apprentice ship with Germany's I have to say after 3- 4 1/2 years you are a decent plumber

IF you are willing to be one. You have got 1 day school 4 days of work on site it all depends on the company you working for.

Without company you cannot do an apprentice ship. It's literally wasting time isn't it spending 3 years for NVQ level 2/3 and then having no clue about physical work?

I don't know if that's efficient but in my opinion you waste another 3 years just getting physical work experience and then it doesn't mean you are a good plumber that's also a big difference.

Would be nice to get an idea of other people's opinion.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's not how we treat our apprentices - we've been nominated twice now for 'Employer of the Year' for our work with apprentices - may get it next year :)

Literally being an apprentice is orthless here in UK. If I am compare the apprentice ship with Germany's I have to say after 3- 4 1/2 years you are a decent plumber

IF you are willing to be one. You have got 1 day school 4 days of work on site it all depends on the company you working for.

Without company you cannot do an apprentice ship. It's literally wasting time isn't it spending 3 years for NVQ level 2/3 and then having no clue about physical work?

I don't know if that's efficient but in my opinion you waste another 3 years just getting physical work experience and then it doesn't mean you are a good plumber that's also a big difference.

Would be nice to get an idea of other people's opinion.

Thanks

I don't think your understanding of the UK system is accurate.

I don't think your understanding of the UK system is accurate.

^^^^what Mas said.

The "proper" apprenticeship system in the UK delivers the largest proportion of the best plumbers. Thats not to say that there aren't good plumbers via other routes, but not so many per 100 that started.

The latest debacle with the CSCS card shows you what happens when private cash cows giving credence to so called tradesman is allowed to bloom and fester.

I Didnt say that's bad in UK ... I just meant when you do your NVQ without working on sites where is the point doing an NVQ level / just to get an idea how things work ?

I'm sorry but still thinking it's better the way we handle it.

Might be true I hadn't got much clue about the whole system here as I am a foreigner but based on reading forums loads of ppl have got a NVQ but no experience ...

Just give me an idea of how you do it usually would be appreciate.

^^^^what Mas said.

The "proper" apprenticeship system in the UK delivers the largest proportion of the best plumbers. Thats not to say that there aren't good plumbers via other routes, but not so many per 100 that started.
Sorry to disagree Ray but it does not

We do do it like that matchless, apprentices are normally on site 3-4 days a week with one day study a week plus homework. That's what ours does. I think your getting confused with the people that pay for the NVQ at a college who mis sell them the course and make them believe that people would employ them based on the qualification with little or no practical experience.
I Didnt say that's bad in UK ... I just meant when you do your NVQ without working on sites where is the point doing an NVQ level / just to get an idea how things work ?

I'm sorry but still thinking it's better the way we handle it.

Might be true I havnt got much clue about the whole system here as I am a foreigner but based on reading forums loads of ppl have got a NVQ but no experience ...

Just give me an idea of how you do it usually would be appreciate.

I'm doing my NVQ2 at present. I'm self-funding (ouch!) but I do do some work with a fully qualified plumber who gives me a very hard time. In that he expects very high standards and capacity to work in real-life situations. Which is why I'm very lucky to have him.

Some of the apprentices on course with me work mainly in commercial or site conditions and I doubt have the luck to come across the non-standard problems I get to see on existing systems, and the City and Guild assessments are reasonably simple, so some criticism of the NVQ system is fair.

There IS, however, a practical element to the course, and without some level of work-based assessment (and evidence of this), you shouldn't be able to complete the course, unless some training centres are fudging things. Many centres offer only the diploma: THAT has no workplace element.

Sorry to disagree Ray but it does not

Sorry nicro3, but Ray is right.

Currently there at least 10 people training for plumbing in England for every employed apprentice. Apprenticeships are by far the most reliable way of entering an occupational field.

If there is any evidence (other than opinion) to suggest this is not the case, then I would be really interested in seeing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Plumber looking for NVQ Level 3 Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock