Discuss New heating system for extension in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lukey

Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm a complete novice to anything associated with plumbing or heating. However, I'm about to put quite a significant extension on to my house and convert the loft. The new property will have 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms with 1 bath and two showers (1 en suite will be in the loft), underfloor heating in the kitchen and around 12-15 radiators (again, 2 will be in the loft).

My question is, what would be the best heating system to supply the house? I would really love to take advantage of solar power if possible for at least the underfloor heating, maybe more if it's possible. The house has a combo boiler at the moment but it's on the way out so I think it would need replacing. I just don't know whether to go with a new, good combi boiler or an alternative system. I'd like to be able to run at least 2 showers at once with a good pressure and temperature on both. I have space for any tanks or boilers which need to be fitted, and the mains supply is a good pressure. I understand it may be difficult, but I would like a good balance between initial cost and monthly cost and a lower carbon footprint.

I hope this isn't too vague, and apologise if it is. If anyone could provide me with any advice I would really appreciate it, and if any more information is required I'll do my best to get it.

Many thanks in advance guys :)

Kind regards

Welcome!

You're probably best going with an unvented cylinder for the hot water side of things and you could incorporate solar thermal into this. You could install a solar capable cylinder and at a later date put the panels on the roof, this would allow you to spread the cost. These cylinders must be installed by someone with a G3 certificate so get someone in to have a look and provide you with options.

From a heating perspective you could also incorporate an ASHP or GSHP to cater for your UFH requirements. This method of heating a home is both more experience. Again this could be incorporated into your hot water needs.

You will without doubt need a competent plumber to review your requirements, perform the necessary calculations and do the installation. Plenty of them on here that could do that for you. Do NOT let your builder do this or you'll regret it in the long (or maybe even short) term.

Hope this helps!

That's great thank you very much mate.

From what I've read I thought that an unvented system would be the best way forward. In fact I think my brother has one of those systems and he has a new house built by a commercial home builder.

If it turns out that solar panels are not a good option for the property (I've yet to ask someone to take a look at the viability of this at the house) would it still be a good idea to go with an unvented system? Are these still economical initially and in the long run without a renewable input?

I'm a little apprehensive about using ground or air source heat pumps just because I don't want things to be too complicated and I'm trying to do everything on a budget.

Once I've nailed down what I want I'd be keen to ask around on here if there is anyone who was available to do the work in the future.

Thanks again for the speedy and helpful reply.

Kind regards,

My pleasure.

You can install to a budget with options for the future. Depending on the thermal characteristics of the building a heat pump will save you money.

The main consideration with the unvented cylinder is your water pressure and flow. Again you're plumber will be able test this. Ideally you'll need 1.5bar (and up) and 20 litres per minute.

Get at least three quotes and go with the one you're comfortable with.

Ok that's great, thank you once again, been a great help.

I'll post to let you know what I go with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New heating system for extension in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock