Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler installation problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TomL-S

Hi, I wonder if someone here might be able to help me. I am a punter, not an engineer - be gentle.

I had a new Worcester Bosch 18i system installed in my house in Jan this year which has a few problems which i’ve outlined below.

• Boiler loses pressure and has to be re-pressurised periodically – on average every 6 weeks.
  • Loft space where the header tank is situated periodically gets very hot (sometimes so hot that that the heat can be felt coming down through the loft hatch). I’ve been up and had a look at the header tank and overflow do seem to be correctly installed and undamaged.
  • Periodic slightly alarming clanks and clangs.
  • A lot of steam is being generated from the flue (well it seems like a lot of steam to me).
  • Alarmingly high bills for both gas and electricity for the previous quarter when I was expecting our bills to go down following the new boiler installation (admittedly this could be down to additional use on our part – we’ve got a 7 month old baby)

Some further background which may or may not be relevant:

• New boiler was plumbed into existing CH and HW system, including existing hot water tank.
  • Previous boiler was ancient, but were no problems associated with it or the existing system which the new boiler was plumbed into.
  • The new boiler was sited in a different location to the old one (1[SUP]st[/SUP] floor study as opposed to ground floor dining room)
  • House is a 3 bed Victorian semi (about 1900), but i don’t know the history of the heating and hot water installation.

Taken together this makes me think that it’s either been installed incorrectly or that the system needs some tweaking. The loss of pressure and heat in the loft make me think that the system may be overpumping?

Any advice gratefully received.

• Boiler loses pressure and has to be re-pressurised periodically – on average every 6 weeks.
You have a leak somewhere. Usually on a radiator valve.

• Loft space where the header tank is situated periodically gets very hot (sometimes so hot that that the heat can be felt coming down through the loft hatch). I’ve been up and had a look at the header tank and overflow do seem to be correctly installed and undamaged.
You don't have a header tank but guess you mean the large water cistern? Is the water in it hot/warm. Is there steam coming from it? Do heating pipes run through your loft?

• A lot of steam is being generated from the flue (well it seems like a lot of steam to me).
Your boiler will be a condensing boiler. They chuck steam out of the flue. This is normal and your installer should have explained this to you.

• Alarmingly high bills for both gas and electricity for the previous quarter when I was expecting our bills to go down following the new boiler installation (admittedly this could be down to additional use on our part – we’ve got a 7 month old baby)
Honestly could be anything. People use their new boiler more than the old one usually without realising it. Could be anything ranging from the boiler isn't functioning correctly to the way you're using it.

The overarching answer to all of these points is: get your installer back.

You don't have a central heating header tank, your heating system is sealed hence the pressure gauge. Your prob referring to your hot water systems water storage tank. Is it lagged? Does your hot water get a lot hotter since the boiler change! Do you use the immersion heater at all?

Your loft will be very warm on sunny days and in general in the summer. Check that your hot water does not get heated when you have the central heating on by itself.

And as lpc said the pressure loss is probably a leak on you existing system, check all rad valves and pipework you can see.

Modern boiler kick out a lot of steam, they don't use a lot of electricity. Sounds like you have increased your use of the heating system hence the higher than expected bills. Do you have a room stat and thermostatic radiator valves?

ask your installer back, expect to pay for any work unless any faults are on his/her work.

Last edited:
Hi, I wonder if someone here might be able to help me. I am a punter, not an engineer - be gentle.

I had a new Worcester Bosch 18i system installed in my house in Jan this year which has a few problems which i’ve outlined below.

• Periodic slightly alarming clanks and clangs.

Some further background which may or may not be relevant:

• New boiler was plumbed into existing CH and HW system, including existing hot water tank.
  • Previous boiler was ancient, but were no problems associated with it or the existing system which the new boiler was plumbed into.
  • The new boiler was sited in a different location to the old one (1[SUP]st[/SUP] floor study as opposed to ground floor dining room)
  • House is a 3 bed Victorian semi (about 1900), but i don’t know the history of the heating and hot water installation.

Taken together this makes me think that it’s either been installed incorrectly or that the system needs some tweaking. The loss of pressure and heat in the loft make me think that the system may be overpumping?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi Tom ,

Did you speak to your installer ??? Please give him a ring and he will be able to sort it all out for you . I dont think he will e able to stop the smoke coming out of the flue :)
Did your gas fitter suggest need for a NEW central heating system ?

Did they power flush it getting rid of all the old sludge and other rubbish out of the system.

Would have been a biggish machine plumbed into your system pumping water and chemicals around for a few hours and hose pipes attached to it and some going outside into a drain

Last edited by a moderator:
All,
thanks for the very helpful and construtive repsonses -to this - I've picked up with my installer and he's coming back to have another look. I'll repost if I have any further problems.

Tom

Wild card, it's not a primatic cylinder? Would think it would over pressure instantly but......

Upload a picture of airing cupboard and your installer should be dragged back. Have you had the gas safe notification and building regs cert through?

It would be an idea to ensure that if you have an immersion heater, please make sure that it is turned off. When faulty it can have disastrous effects when hot water is also being called for. A long shot but that may be a reason for heat up in the loft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler installation problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock